On 10/5/2015 6:24 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 6 Oct 2015, at 11:29 AM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 10/5/2015 5:14 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

 From this comment it seems that you have an odd idea of how a person survives
from moment to moment, as if they have a soul that needs to be transferred from
one body to the other. That isn't how it works. If A1 survives as a later
entity A2, it is necessary and sufficient that A1 and A2 have certain physical
and psychological properties. No spark or soul needs to jump from A1 to A2, and
they neither need to have any matter in common nor do they need to have any
physical continuity, since these factors have no effect on experience.
I disagree with that last.  It's commonly assumed, because with shut our eyes and imagine
scenes and we can compose dialog in our heads; but I think it is a mistake to think these
can happen independent of some underlying physics - even if it's not
"primitive" physics (whatever that is) which Bruno dismisses.
But lack of physical continuity will not necessarily make a subjective
difference, even if physics is needed to instantiate consciousness.

Not necessarily if it is at a very low level, e.g. atoms. But if it's something noticeable, some difference in hormone levels, ... it will make a difference in thoughts. If the thought sequence can different with the things happening at the physical level of say neurons then it implies that supervenience is false and the mental and physical can go their own way (which is what we call "delusional").