On 8/3/2016 5:55 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 3 August 2016 at 16:02, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 8/2/2016 10:19 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

    On Wednesday, 3 August 2016, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net>
    wrote:

        On 8/2/2016 3:29 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

        On Wednesday, 3 August 2016, Brent Meeker
        <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

                It's not that it can't, but rather that it doesn't,
                and if it does then that would require some extra
                physical explanation, a radio link between brains or
                something.

            That's what I mean by illegitimately appealing to
            physics while claiming that physics must be derived from
            computation of consciousness.

         Whatever theory we propose must be consistent with observation.

        But, "if it does then*/that would require some extra physical
        explanation/*, a radio link between brains or something." Is
        not an observation, it's an assumption that all information
        transfer must be physical.

    There is no convincing evidence for telepathic communication, so
    a theory that predicts it should occur would have to explain why
    we don't observe it.

Yes, and physical theories of consciousness do that quite well. But computationalist theories of consciousness can't invoke the
    physics they're trying to derive.

Bruno, I believe, proposes that his theory accounts for the universe that we observe.

ISTM his argument is of the form:

1) Consciousness is instantiated by certain computation.
2) All possible computation is realized by a UDA that exists because arithmetic is true. 3) Then the conscious thoughts that constitute our experience of a physical world are among those instantiated by the UDA and the physical world need not be anything more than threads of those computations that exhibit the consistent patterns which we explain as an external reality.

The problem I have with this is that "arithmetic is true" doesn't make anything, much less a UDA, exist. And the conclusion (3) just brings in Everett's measure problem amplified to the nth degree. It explains too much as "existing" and doesn't assign probabilities to anything. So far as I can tell Bruno is just relying on 1-3 as a "proof" that the physics we observe MUST BE derived from the UDA.