On 17 May 2017 5:44 a.m., "Russell Standish" <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 03:49:37PM -0700, Brent Meeker wrote:

> Is that not also true of consciousness supervening on a computers
> execution of a program?  What it is conscious "of" depends on its
> relation to the environment - e.g. what the programmer intended to
> represent.  So, while unlikely, the same program might be "conscious
> of" two quite different things

To the extent that it ought to be possible for any program to
represent any other program by a suitable time-based transformation
applied by an external observer, then yes.

I think there's a subtlety here. If we're speaking about *physical*
supervenience (which is after all the only kind that could be "observed"
externally) then of course I agree with you and Brent that the relation
with computation and hence, by assumption, with consciousness, becomes
ambiguous in the sense that it's open to variation by extrinsic
interpretation. I tend to agree that in this case the implication is so
much the worse for this definition of supervenience.

However, if we're speaking strictly of computational supervenience, then
ISTM that no notion of "external observation" can now coherently apply. You
can't speak of "observing" a computation unless you're already implicitly
assuming physical supervenience. So on the strict assumption of
computational supervenience without extraneous additions a computation
simply is what it is, as it were, and as such is invulnerable to variation
of extrinsic interpretation. So in this case there need be no ambiguity and
the notion of supervenience seems to be robust in this respect.

The consciousness is no longer supervenient on the original program, but on
the
transformation.

I can't help feeling this is telling me something is awry with the
definition of supervenience, rather than of computationalism or materialism.

ISTM that the considerations outlined above may comprise an independent
argument against the notion of physical supervenience in the
computationalist framework.

David