On 26 May 2017 at 18:32, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 26 May 2017, at 14:04, David Nyman wrote:
>
> On 25 May 2017 at 16:23, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>
>> On 24 May 2017, at 13:56, David Nyman wrote:
>>
>> Let me know if anything is still unclear.

​Yes, so on pain of inconsistency, not everything the machine can say can
definitely be provably true (or false).
​

> (The predicate ~V would also exist, and the diagonal lemma says that for
> all predicate P the machine can find a solution to the formula x <-> P(x),
> that is, can find a sentence k such that the machine will prove k <-> P(k).
>
> But we can define truth predicate on restricted set of sentences.

​Necessarily so, it would seem.
​

> And we can use richer theories. In set theory, it is easy to define the
> arithmetical truth. Of course, in the background we use the notion of
> set-theoretical truth, which, if we would define it would requires strong
> infinity axiom (ZF + kappa exists) for example.
>
> Arithmetical truth is the simplest notion of all definition of truth.
> "AxP(x)" is true simply means that P(n) is true whatever n is. It is the
> infinite or:
>
> P(0) v P(1) v P(2), v P(3), etc.
>
> The amazing thing, alreadu apparent in Post 1922 and Gödel 1931, but quite
> clarified since, is that
>
> 1) we can describe the complete functioning of any universal (and non
> universal) system in the arithmetical language, but, and that is the key,
> in virtue of the true-ness of the relation between the numbers, the
> computations are not just describe in arithmetic, but they are emulated.

​In effect, they are actioned.
​

> I know you and some other have well understood this, but not all here
> seems to have grasped that quite important distinction, between truth,
> theories and languages. Also, I am sure you forget to apply this sometimes,
> see below. I think you don't take mechanism seriously enough. (as working
> hypothesis of course).

​Oh dear. But I've looked below and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong :(
​

> But what might be a corresponding notion of physical truth? Is it just
> Brent's insistence on a completed instrumental account of neurocognition in
> terms of physical action?
>

> Brent defines truth by physical truth. It is OK, but cannot work with
> mechanism (uda, etc.)

​But then you say below there is no physical truth, only physical modes.
But perhaps you mean only assuming mechanism. If one doesn't assume this,
what then is physical truth?
​

> But such an account would not even address the provenance of the
> perceptual facts in terms of which that very action appeared to us. Could
> that be sufficient to justify the inference that perception was a "physical
> truth", as opposed to merely being effectively eliminated?
>

> I think we are perhaps close to a point where we could slightly disagree.
> I can still make some sense of Brent's proposition, and of physicalism, by
> assuming a physical universe, as starting hypothesis. The price is to
> abandon mechanism. That will make everything a bit magical, but it can be
> consistent, and worst, true.

​Yes, but what's true about a physical universe that could be invoked (or
inferred, pace Brent) to explain consciousness of it?​

better say no to the doctor, in that case. This would need things like
> kappa, or even more complex set-theoretical objects. Eventually it is like
> Ptolemeaus epycicle, and with mechanism, literal invisible horses, but time
> consuming horses to describe when doing the prediction. Today that remains
> possible, and that is why I try to propose a test.

​Do you mean YD? That's some test! Mind you, partial brain prostheses are
almost upon us.
​

> I suspect, in the end, that any viable notion of physical truth would
> inevitably collapse, under analysis, to mechanism and consequently to
> arithmetical truth. And so the argument will begin again ;)
>

> The physical truth, with mechanism, is the truth about the (measure on)
> the computations which "continues" you in arithmetic, as seen from some
> intern
> ​al​
> points of view.

​OK
​

> using G, we can described it roughly but precisely by Bp & Dt & p, with p
> computable (sigma).
>
> In Plotinus-like terms, arithmetical truth is the One. the only thing you
> need to believe in, or understand.

​OK again. And as I remarked recently (although you haven't commented yet)
the body is perhaps what allows the symmetry of that One to be broken, at
least in terms of the points of view.
​

> But that is a semantical reality. it is know that the arithmetical truth
> cannot be axiomatize completely by any reasonable/effective theory. We
> cannot "really" define it ourselves, but like consciousness, we have
> quickly a good intuitive grasp on it. We don't complain when our kids
> learns that prime numbers exists, even an infinity of them.
>
> That is what I sum up by p. It is the sentence asserted by a machine (or
> not, here there is the nuance which, if misunderstood paved the road to the
> theological trap). Indeed, with mechanism, p will be sigma. And for the
> sigma proposition we have G* proves p <-> []p. So God becomes the universal
> turing machine! Blaspheme!

​Well, the machine becomes the universal experiencer, the monopsychic,
multiply-amnesic "solus ipse". Is that God? ISTM that an aspect of God must
also somehow be implicated in arithmetic itself which, as the fons et origo
of the supremely creative widget, is the sole assumptive ontology for
everything that follows.

​

> Not really, because the correct machine will just stay mute on []p -> p.
>
> With mechanism, we don't go out of the much more tiny, computable (cf the
> universal dovetailer, the "splashed universal Turing machine) sigma truth.
> The usual Arithmetical truth can also be relegate to the imagination of the
> universal numbers.
>
> So, we have the truth,

> and we have the modal nuances, literally enforced by incompleteness, as
> the Löbian machine already know:
>
> Bp                           The justfiable  (G1 and G1*)
> Bp & p                     The knowable  (S4Grz1)
>
> and the two matters of the neoplatonists:
>
> Bp & Dt                   intelligible matter (sharable quanta and piece
> of classical and quantum bits)   The observable (Z1 and Z1*)
> Bp & Dt & p            (sensible matter (unsharable qualia, undescribable
> by any bits in any language) The sensible (X1 and X1*)
>
> Thee modes split, by inheriting the G/G* split. Note that the decidability
> of G is inherited on all modes, including G*.
> The splitting gives interesting corona (G* \  G, Z1* \  Z1, X1* \ X1).
>
> Some quantum logics appears in S4Grz1, Z1*, X1*.
>

> So, if you want, there is only one notion of fundamental truth assumed
> (ontologically).( (sigma) arithmetical truth). All the rest are imposed as
> self-referential modalities, by incompleteness (which belongs to the
> arithmetical truth) on the self-referentially correct universal number,
> relatively to each others.

​Which I called, rather vaguely in answer to Brent, (epistemological)
generalisations of arithmetical truth (meaning only that they added no new
entities or relations to the assumptive ontology)​

> The physical truth is one way "arithmetic" looks at itself. It is first
> person plural, because we share the "measure one", in the "& Dt"
> modalities, although this has not yet been completely clarified.

​Yes, I've just said that in response to Brent's remarks about the
point-of-view invariance of physical observables.
​

> To put is more bluntly: there is no physical truth. Only some true
> physical mode.

​OK but what about what you said above? I think I see that you must intend
this on the assumption of mechanism only. What physical truth could be on
any other assumption is presumably a different matter.
​

> Normally given by []p & Dt (& p). In my thesis I was wrong when saying
> that S4Grz1, the logic of (Bp &p), p sigma,  collapse. It did not, which
> makes things even closer to Plotinus. The soul has already a foot in
> Matter, somehow.

​Well, surely without a connection to matter it would be perceptually
stranded in the unbroken symmetry of the One.
​

> Note that the soul does not split along G/G*.

​And therefore....?
​

> Hope this is not too much technical

​!!
​

> , but I needed to get the short answer: there is no physical truth, only
> physical modes, which are uncertainty measure on accessible continuation.

​Yes, the Born "probabilities" (hopefully).
​

> What Aristotle called the physical universe, is only a map of our most
> accessible continuations in arithmetic.

​Indeed.

David​