On 6 June 2017 at 01:46, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> [...]
>
> On 6 June 2017 at 00:23, Bruce Kellett < <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>
> bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On 5/06/2017 8:42 pm, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>> I am not alone skeptical about inferring that the violation of the Bell
>>> inequalities shows action at a distance. What is wrong in Deutsch and
>>> Hayden? What is wrong in Rubin (Rubin, M.A. Found Phys Lett (2001) 14: 301.
>>> doi:10.1023/A:1012357515678), or in Maudlin's book?
>>>

>> They don't all necessarily make the same mistake as Price, but they all
>> make equally silly mistakes, and build in the non-locality without
>> realizing it. Last year I analysed the argument by Tipler
>> (arxiv:quant-ph/0003146v1) in detail and showed where he made exactly this
>> mistake of building the non-locality in without realizing it.
>

> ​Bruce, I'm reading The Emergent Multiverse by David Wallace at the
> moment. He's well known as a prominent theorist of MWI. I don't know
> whether he falls under your definition of competence in this area, but as
> far as I've understood him, he fully accepts that MWI must be consistent
> with QM in all respects, including of course nonlocality.​ The distinction
> he makes is between nonlocality and the question of whether this requires
> us to think in terms of instantaneous transfer of information at
> greater-than-light speed, or "action at a distance". I can't say I've been
> able to get my head around his full exposition of this yet, but I'm pretty
> sure he doesn't  go along with your exposition of Price's seemingly faulty
> version of this.
>

> It is interesting that Wallace has come to this view. He, with Deutsch,
> was one of those who attempted to argue that MWI restored full locality.
> They also tried to derive the Born Rule from within MWI, and failed in that
> too.
>
> I do not know the book you refer to, but if Wallace now accepts that QM
> and Bell implies non-locality, then I fully agree. I have always argued, on
> this list and elsewhere, that non-locality does not mean the instantaneous
> transfer of physical information -- if you think about it, that would, in a
> sense, be a local, albeit FTL, effect. The core of the quantum singlet
> state is that it does not involve the physical positions of the particles.
> It is expressed in configuration space, and the difficulties appear to
> arise from interpreting configuration space as though it were the same as
> ordinary 3-space. What has been said is that the singlet state is always
> local in configuration space, which translates to non-locality in 3-space.
> And this without some FTL information transfer. If there were FTL
> information transfer, then that could be manipulated to give FTL
> signalling, and there are all sorts of theorems in QM that show that FTL
> signalling is not possible.
>
> But it seems as though Wallace is coming to see these things as do the
> majority of other physicists -- non-locality is intrinsic to quantum

​Wallace uses the term non-separability. ​He makes an analogy, to a certain
extent, with the ontology of field theories such as electromagnetism, about
which he says "The structural complexity of a given electromagnetic field
is represented not in the properties of very small spacetime regions
(indeed in the limit as these regions become point sized, the field's
structure becomes almost trivial) but in the way in which those properties
vary across spacetime. Furthermore, this general model is characteristic of
pretty much any classical field theory, except that vector fields seem
mathematically tame compared to the sorts of mathematical objects used to
represent the field values of many classical field theories.". He gives a
number of examples of these latter objects including the affine connections
of General Relativity. He then goes on from this analogy to propose an
ontology for quantum field theory which he calls Spacetime State Realism. I
can't really attempt to elaborate on this here.

Moving on this basis to the question "Does Everettian quantum mechanics
display action at a distance?" he answers in the negative. He justifies
this by elaborating on the observation that "In a quantum field theory, the
quantum state of any region depends on the quantum state of some cross
section of the past light cone of that region. Disturbances cannot
propagate into that light cone." To the question "Does Everettian quantum
mechanics display non-separability?" he answers in the positive. He
justifies this by elaborating on the observation that "Because of
entanglement, knowing the density operators of regions A and B does not
suffice to fix the density operator of (the union of) A and B. Some of the
properties of (the union of) A and B are genuinely non-local: they have
local physical manifestations only if we arrange appropriate dynamics.".

I can't do justice to his exposition of the above positions in the full
text, but they seem reasonably plausible (from my admittedly very amateur
perspective) on a first reading.

David