On 8/06/2017 11:25 pm, David Nyman wrote:
On 8 Jun 2017 12:50 p.m., "Bruce Kellett" <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

    On 8/06/2017 9:06 pm, David Nyman wrote:

    Yes, this is also the point where I stumble. I've been trying
    somewhat inarticulately to characterise a possibly non-miraculous
    approach from a slightly different perspective. Suppose we think
    about the matter from the point of view of Hoyle's pigeonholes.
    Perhaps there are pigeonholes that in some sense correspond to
    observations that are 'malformed' with respect to the predictions
    of QM. Now, we are presumably to suppose that the entanglement
    which leads to well-formed predictions embodies a very
    fundamental aspect of physical reality and consequently also the
    possibility of meaningful observation. Hence any such malformed
    'observations' should by the same assumption be considered of
    very low measure, in the sense of any possible contribution to
    Hoyle's conceptualised sum of well-formed observation.

    I suppose what I'm suggesting is that something fundamental and
    highly constraining about the demands of observation of a
    consistent physical environment itself effectively filters out
    what is possible but incompatible with those demands. Is this
    irretrievably circular?

    I don't think it is so much circular as conspiratorial. If
    physical results were to come about in such a conspiratorial way,
    rather than straightforwardly from the formalism as in quantum
    non-locality, one might wonder what the scientific enterprise is
    really all about. (Rather as Zeilinger wondered about
    superdeterminism.)

I'm not sure I agree that it would be conspiratorial. Non-locality as a consequence of entanglement would be central to the explanation in that it would fix the very limits of what it would be possible to observe for a deeply physical reason. I'm also not entirely convinced that the idea would necessarily be at odds with the scientific enterprise per se. That would be a question of the restrictions one wished to place on its explanatory approach. Much the same has been remarked about cosmological Multiverse theories, or the String Landscape, but ISTM that those judgements - whether they turn out to be right or wrong - are based on little more than a long-standing presupposition that there must be a unique solution to certain equations.

However I concede that whereas what I've outlined isn't necessarily inconsistent with the predictions of the quantum formalism (else it would just be wrong) it would depend on a presently rather non-standard notion of 'unobservable'. That notion would in turn require us to understand the formalism, at a very fundamental level, as describing an emergent epistemological phenomenon rather than a basic ontological one. To that degree it may be more compatible with an explanatory schema such as computationalism, in terms of which physics is indeed an epistemological emergent, as distinct from physics tout simple.

The idea that the explanation is epistemological rather that ontological has been my preferred position for a long time. If the wave-function is merely an epistemological device for calculating probabilities and not a really existing object, all worries about collapse and action-at-a-distance vanish. Of course, multi worlds also vanish, but in my opinion that is no bad thing.

Bruce