On 19 Jun 2017, at 19:08, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 6/19/2017 2:46 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
So back to quantum computation: what I think that QC demonstrates
(independently of it being realised by network models or cluster
states) is that the superposition of states really does mean that the
various states *exist*.

Superposition of states just means you choose a basis for the states that did not have the right eigenstates. "Being in a superpostion" is just a coordinate choice. It's like saying that going from Bermuda to London is a superposition of north-traveling and east-traveling.

? That resembles a confusion between pure state and mixed state.

I didn't say anything about mixed states. I pointed out that any pure state can be expressed as a superposition by writing it in basis other than its eigenbasis. This is not unique so which states appear in the superposition is matter of choice. That makes it hard to regard them as existing.

I agree it is conceptually hard, but it is logically simple.

I am sure you are aware of the difference so I find this answer very weird. It brushes away all the interpretation problem we have of the facts (not just the theory). Single photon (or molecule) interference would not exist if pure state where not also superposition in the rotated base.

Why would you say that if I fly from Bermuda to London it demonstrates that flights from Bermuda to Algiers and Algiers to London exist?

Why should I not when I can find interference pattern involving Algiers and some other city? It is the interference which forces us to take "the two slit" into account, even with only one photon used in the process?