On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 05:09:13PM -0800, Brent Meeker wrote:

> On 11/27/2017 4:17 PM, Russell Standish wrote:

> > > ​Then give me some facts! Where does Weinberg say that? And how can you
> > > have a multiverse without many worlds or many worlds without a
> > > multiverse? ​
> > Alan deliberately uses the term "Multiverse" to refer to the string
> > landscape. Note this usage contravenes the usage of Multiverse by
> > everybody else here, which normally is as David Deutsch originally intended
> > by
> > the term, the multiple universes of the MWI, or sometimes even more
> > generally as any of the Tegmarkian ensembles.
>
> I think we should use "multiverse" to refer to the cosmological multiplicity
> per Tegmark and use "multiple worlds" to refer to the quantum multiplicity
> of Everett (so it's consistent with the abbreviation MWI).

Tegmark uses "multiverse" to refer to any of his parallel universe
classes, including the many worlds. This wikipedia article also takes
the same view https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

In my book, I use Multiverse consistently to refer to the quantum many
worlds, following David Deutsch, who I believe(d) introduced the term, and
Plenitude to refer to Tegmark's level 4. I don't have nicknames for
the other two Tegmarkian "multiverses".

PS - according to Wikipedia, the actual term was coined by William
James in 1895!

It is just terminology, and terminology should be allowed to evolve,
just so long as everybody is clear about what is being discussed. I
appreciate that it appears these days that multiverse can refer to any parallel
universe theory, a la Tegmark, so that's how we should be using it,
and qualify (eg quantum multiverse) where needed.