On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 8:34:34 PM UTC-6, stathisp wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 at 10:36 pm, Lawrence Crowell <
> goldenfield...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> The Aaronson discussion about soap bubbles and optimization is in line
>> with something I have maintained. Eternal black holes with the inner
>> horizon r_- continuous with I^+ means in principle a Turing machine
>> approaching r_- could receive an infinite stream of bits or qubits so it
>> could make a catalog of all Turing machines that halt and do not halt.
>> Quantum mechanics enters into the physics, such as Hawking radiation, that
>> separates  r_- from I^+. However, this may adjust the Chaitan halting
>> probability. With NP-complete problems this would translate into the
>> existence of systems that approximate such solutions.
>>
>> I suspect the individual consciousness of a person or even animals is
>> wrapped up in some sort of code, that while it might be derived in some
>> approximate way it is tough to find from outside. The thesis that all of
>> consciousness is a manifestation of calculation presumes the brain is
>> primarily involved with computation. The problem is that the brain computes
>> little in the way of mathematical solutions, but rather is involved with
>> maintenance of homeostasis of an organism. Further, consciousness is less
>> about solving problems than it is about maintaining a self-referenced
>> narrative that is a positive feedback and forms a meaning cycle.
>>

> The sequence of reasoning is not that the brain does computation, and that
> therefore consciousness is computation. It is that the brain apparently
> gives rise to consciousness, and if brain components can be replaced by a
> computer, then consciousness should be preserved, otherwise the implausible
> situation would occur where consciousness gradually fades or suddenly
> disappears during the replacement process despite no change in behaviour.
> Against this is the possibility that some component of the brain utilises
> non-computable physics, so the replacement would fail; but there is no
> evidence for this, and it seems to me the main reason such theories are
> entertained at all is a disdain for the idea that human beings are just
> ordinary matter.

The point is not that neurological processes can't be modeled using
biophysical algorithms. Below is a neural circuit diagram that illustrates
a feedback structure. These neurons could be replaced by flip flop systems
and other electronic. In that way this system could be modeled. My main
point is there is a distinction between the territory and the map. Feynman
also made the quip that simulation is like masturbation; it is fine until
you start thinking it is the real thing.

LC

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UI-xEX4ZlC4/WquuXqqaX7I/AAAAAAAADQ4/oYYYNdMTQvIDc4isEF3myVIliqK2Mm5lACLcBGAs/s1600/thalamocortical%2Bcircuit.gif>