> On 17 Apr 2018, at 00:58, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> From: Brent Meeker < <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>meeke...@verizon.net
> <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>
>>>
>>> This is false. Even in Everettian QM there are only two possible outcomes
>>> for each spin measurement: this leads to two distinct worlds for each
>>> particle of the pair. Hence only 4 possible parallel universes. Where do
>>> you get the idea that there are infinitely many parallel universes? This is
>>> not part of Everettian QM, or any other model of QM. But even if you can
>>> manufacture an infinity of universes, you still have not shown how this
>>>             removes the non-locality inherent in the quantum formalism.
>>
>> Bruno's ontology is all possible computations, so he's already assumed
>> (countably) infinite worlds.  When there are only four or two outcomes of an
>> experiment it just means his worlds are divided into four or two equivalent
>> subsets.
>
> That might very well be the case. But then that has absolutely nothing to do
> with Everett or quantum mechanics. Bruno's long-held claim is that Everett's
> many worlds obviate the need for non-locality. But he has never been able to
> produce a coherent argument to this effect. It is always this bullshit about
> an infinite number of worlds -- as if that made any difference at all.

You are the one making the extra-ordinary claims. I don’t say much more than
maudlin on this issue in his book on Nonon-Locality: it makes no sense in the
many-world.

> I think Bruno should really face up to the fact that his "comp" has not
> produced any coherent quantum theory,

That has nothing to do with the present discussion, where I use QM, and not
comp. Then comp is not my theory: it is the one by Turing among *many* people,
and the rest is just logical derivation in that theory, informal with UDA, and
formal with the “machine’s interview”. If you find a mistake, or if there is
something you don’t understand, just ask. But for the interview you need to
know (what all logicians know, but none physicists know) that the notion of
computation is an arithmetical notion. That does not mean only that we can
describe the computations in arithmetic, but that arithmetic emulates, in the
precise original technical sense all computations, and then if you believe that
a primary physical universe can select a computation, you might try to provide
an argument, as this looks like pure non Turing emulable magic.

> so he should just stop making unsubstantiated claims about what his theory
> does or does not say about the facts of quantum mechanics.

I was NOT reasoning in the comp theory. My skepticism toward non-locality comes
from the absence of any evidence, neither in theory, nor in any experimental
set-up. I have not yet one paper substantiating your claim. All papers arguing
for non-locality use the idea that measurement have one outcome, which never
happens in QM without collapse.

> If Bruno wants to make claims about Everettian QM, then he should confine
> himself to that well-defined theory,

That is exactly what I did.

> and not keep obfuscating by referring to his own idiosyncratic ideas.

Ad hominem.

I take ad hominem remarks meaning “I says stupidities instead or trying to
understand”. I think that, unlike Clark, you have no problem with step 3, but I
guess you have a problem with step 7-8, as anyone not knowing that the notion
of computation is a purely arithmetical notion.
Then keep in mind that comp is metaphysics, or theology, or
“philosophy-of-mind”, but made with the scientific method thanks to the fact
that comp ucan use computer science to make the mind-body problem into a math
problem (solved at the propositional level).

Bruno