On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 12:14:06 AM UTC, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 11:54:15 PM UTC, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> From: <agrays...@gmail.com>

>>> *What it's not. It's not the SWE. It's not Born's Rule. It's not the
>>> operator correspondence with observables. AG *
>>>

>> *I suppose it could be traced to the superposition principle; that the
>> state vector of the singlet state is a linear combination of the states
>> which are members of the corresponding Hilbert space of the system. But why
>> are these states tensor product states? AG*
>>

>> Why try worrying these things out for yourself? The easiest thing is to
>> go and look up a text book.
>>
>> Bruce
>>

> *Recall when I asked whether entanglement necessarily implies non
> locality. You replied "not necessarily" and gave the classical example of
> elastic scattering of billiard balls where the momentum of its constituents
> and the whole system is known exactly. No uncertainty. In the wf for the
> singlet system you assume a definite net spin angular momentum, zero. How
> can you treat the singlet system quantum mechanically and at the same time
> assume you know its spin momentum exactly? Do you think this question could
> be answered in a text book? How could I even pose it to an inert, non
> responsive medium? AG *

*I just took a quick look at chapter 15, section 4 of Merzbacher, Quantum
Mechanics (Third Edition). The tensor equation can't be copied. It appears
in the blank lines below. Immediately you can see the problem with this
kind of treatment. It doesn't explain WHY, from First Principles, the
tensor product can be used to describe the composite system. It's virtually
impossible to find an explanation from First Principles. AG*

 4. Quantum Dynamics in Direct Product Spaces and Multiparticle Systems.
Often the state vector space of a system can be regarded as the direct,
outer, or tensor product of vector spaces for simpler subsystems. The
direct product space is formed from two independent unrelated vector spaces
that are respectively spanned by the basis vectors /A;) and I B;) by
constructing the basis vectors

Although the symbol @ is the accepted mathematical notation for the direct
product of state vectors, it is usually dispensed with in the physics
literature, and we adopt this practice when it is unlikely to lead to
misunderstandings. If n1 and n2 are the dimensions of the two factor
spaces, the product space has dimension nl X n2. This idea is easily
extended to the construction of direct product spaces from three or more
simple spaces.