Brent:  I'm suspicious of these fantasy thought experiments. But however
detailed it may be doesn't answer my question as to what it would mean to erase
the welcher weg but not the memory that the weg was detected. I noted that this
is not like a classical erasure of a memory because in this case the coherence
is maintained, sowhen the welcher weg is erased there is no long any
fact-of-the-matter as to which way it went. There is no fact-of-the-matter that
it was detected to go left or right. So the "memory" if it exists, is a false
memory.

-----

https://www.nature.com/news/how-quantum-trickery-can-scramble-cause-and-effect-1.22208

<<Last year, Walther and his colleagues devised a way to measure the photon as
it passes through the two gates without immediately changing what they know
about it. They encode the result of the measurement in the photon itself, but
do not read it out at the time. Because the photon goes through the whole
circuit before it is detected and the measurement is revealed, that information
can't be used to reconstruct the gate order. It's as if you asked someone to
keep a record of how they feel during a trip and then relay the information to
you later — so that you can't deduce exactly when and where they were when they
wrote it down. As the Vienna researchers showed, this ignorance preserves the
causal superposition. “We don't extract any information about the measurement
result until the very end of the entire process, when the final readout takes
place,” says Walther. “So the outcome of the measurement process, and the time
when it was made, are hidden but still affect the final result.”>>

The specific experiment is here https://arxiv.org/abs/1608.01683. Not an easy
read ... SWITCH, "causal witness", and so on