From: *smitra* <smi...@zonnet.nl <mailto:smi...@zonnet.nl>>

On 03-05-2018 03:22, Brent Meeker wrote:

    On 5/2/2018 6:02 PM, smitra wrote:

        On 02-05-2018 03:21, Brent Meeker wrote:

            On 5/1/2018 4:43 PM, smitra wrote:

                On 01-05-2018 20:47, Brent Meeker wrote:

                    On 5/1/2018 9:01 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

                        On 29 Apr 2018, at 19:59, Brent Meeker
                        <meeke...@verizon.net
                        <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

                        On 4/29/2018 8:53 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

                        But that's my question: Why isn't it the same?
                        And even if it's not
                        how would be know? The "conscious" quantum
                        computer assures us that
                        it not only detected that there was a welcher
                        weg photon but that
                        it's weg was known to the "consciousness" of
                        the quantum computer,
                        before it was erased. But why would we believe
                        it? We already have
                        these experiments in which we know the weg was
                        available and could
                        have been recorded, but was erased. So what is
                        the "consciousness"
                        that adds a secret-sauce to the experiment?
                        Good question. I doubt that you can fool
                        quantum mechanics by
                        calling it "consciousness". I think in this
                        case the interaction
                        with the welcher weg photon would amount to
                        sufficient decoherence
                        -- basically information was extracted that
                        was not restored. Also,
                        of course, if the QC "forgets" what it did,
                        how can it report on the
                        fact that it did anything. How can we believe
                        that it actually knew
                        which slit at some point?

                    Because in Deutsch experiment, not everything has
                    been erased, notably
                    the memory that he has known the result. He would
                    say something like:
                    I remember doing the measurement and writing it in
                    the enveloppe. Now
                    the envelop has been erased, and I can’t remember
                    its content, but I
                    definitely remember having known the content.
                     But two questions remain.  First, the empirical
                    question of whether
                    this erasure is enough to restore interference.

                    I do not see why it would not been enough … in
                    theory. You need only
                    a computer able to forget a memory, but not some
                    meta-memory that it
                    has recorded a definite result. It isa bit like
                    remembering we have
                    done a dream, without being able to remember any
                    of its content.

                    In practice, that might be very difficult, if not
                    impossible. I am not
                    sure.

                        Second, why should we believe the quantum
                        computer.

                    In Deutsch proposal, it is a human.
                     No, it's a conscious quantum computer.  It it
                    were a human or other
                    (quasi-) classical instrument decoherence would
                    happen when there was
                    a detection of welcher weg and erasure would be
                    impossible.

                     Brent

                Yes, but note that you can make that quantum computing
                simulation of the observer in that thought experiment
                as precise as you like. You can in principle include a
                simulation of the entire Earth

            And the outgoing EM and neutrino waves and their
            interaction with
            interstellar atoms.  I'm suspicious of these fantasy thought
            experiments.  But however detailed it may be doesn't answer my
            question as to what it would mean to erase the welcher weg
            but not the
            memory that the weg was detected.  I noted that this is
            not like a
            classical erasure of a memory because in this case the
            coherence is
            maintained, so when the welcher weg is erased there is no
            long any
            fact-of-the-matter as to which way it went.  There is no
            fact-of-the-matter that it was detected to go left or
            right.  So the
            "memory" if it exists, is a false memory.

                with billions of other people and a lot of decoherence
                implemented by qubits that simulate e.g. soft photons
                and other environmental degrees of freedom (and all
                that decoherence will end up getting reversed by the
                way the computation is set up ) The point is that if
                computation generates consciousness, you can in
                principle let any given person do the experimental
                verification of the existence of multiple branches by
                uploading the brain to a quantum computer and letting
                it be subject to such a computation.

            How will the person verify it?  Reversing the computation
            will reverse
            the person and erase their memory.

            Brent

        It's a simple two step measurement process where you (as a
        virtual person simulated by the QC) perform a measurement that
        tells you that the spin (represented by a qubit) has been
        measured without giving you the result. And then you perform
        the next measurement where you actually measure the value of
        the spin component. It can then be shown that there exists a
        unitary transform that will restore the original spin state
        that will preserve the record of the first measurement.

    But you're speaking poetically.  I, as a classical being cannot
    perform such measurements.  First, how can the simulated QC person
    perform a measurement that tells you that the spin has been measured
    without giving anyone the result?  In what sense is this a measurement
    of the spin, not merely a measurement of some proxy that is
    independent of the spin value?  Second, what is the point of the
    second measurement "where you actually measure the spin component";
    are you saying the first measurement did not actually measure the spin
    component even though it is supposed to tell us that it was measured?
    Third, all the techniques I've heard of for quantum erasing a
    measurement and restoring the WF are like making it so it never
    happened.   You seem implicitly to take this view since you're
    concerned to preserve the record of the first measurement (which
    didn't actually measure the spin value) but not the second (which
    makes no record).

    Brent

Yes, it's a measurement of a proxy, analogous to letting someone else measure the spin and then that person reporting to you that the spin has been successfully measured, without disclosing the result to you. It's not difficult to write down a QC program to see how this works in detail. You can take a CNOT gate a very simple observer, the control qubit is the spin that is going to be measured (using a Hadamrd transform it can be put in a superposition of |0> and |1>), the other bit is initialized to be in the |0> state. We then add another qubit that changes from |0> to |1> when the gate is applied. One can then return qubits of the CNOT gate to the original state while leaving that extra qubit in the state it was after the measurement.

So, the record of the measurement having taking place will be kept, while the original spin state of, say, |0> has been restored, and that can be verified by repeatedly carrying out this process and then also measuring the spin in the final restored state. That final measurement always yields the same result, proving that the qubit is indeed always restored to the |0> state. But if the measurement at the time of the superposition were to collapse the wavefunction, eliminating one of the two branches then the original state would not be restored.

What all of this proves, is that an observer implemented by a quantum computer can experimentally falsify the Copenhagen Interpretation.

Unfortunately, it is not the case that you can implement absolutely any unitary transformation in this way. For instance, you cannot implement the unitary transformation that would reverse a totally decohered event. Your quantum computer ceases to function if there is any decoherence! For example, you cannot implement a unitary transformation that would resurrect my dead grandfather, even though his life and death were entirely unitary. So you cannot reverse a recorded measurement.

Bruce