> On 29 Sep 2018, at 11:22, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> On Saturday, September 29, 2018 at 8:57:54 AM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 29 Sep 2018, at 09:16, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>>

>> On Saturday, September 29, 2018 at 6:40:05 AM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> With mathematicalism, we don’t assume that there is a
>>> (primitive/irreducible) physical reality.
>>>
>>> You are begging the question.
>>>
>>> In what way?  The MUH says, for example, that for every mathematical
>>> solution or equation, there is a (perceived) physical universe mapped
>>> identically from, or into that solution or equation. I gave a simple
>>> counter example. AG
>>
>> If that is the MUH, then that it is plainly ridiculous, indeed. To have a
>> perceived universe, you need a measure on the computation/sigma-sentences.
>> The physical emerges from an arithmetical phenomenon (assuming mechanism in
>> cognitive science).
>>
>> The version of mathematicalism implied by mechanism does not lead any choice
>> for the “physical reality”, it has to be a statistic on computations
>> structured by the “observable” mode of self-reference. That indeed predicts
>> quantum logic, and the many “histories” interpretation of arithmetic. Oracle
>> are not impossible, but there are no evidence for them, and should be
>> invoked in last resort (a bit like the “Alien” in cosmology).
>>
>> The empirical evidence is that there is no physical universe at all.
>>
>> Bruno
>>
>> This double-talk nonsense IMO. I clearly gave a counter-example to the MUH,
>

> You want make some mathematical object physical real. That assume some
> physical reality, which cannot be done.
>
> This is the MUH, not what I want or believe. AG
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis
>
> Tegmark's MUH is: Our external physical reality is a mathematical
> structure.[3]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis#cite_note-Tegmark2008-3>
>  That is, the physical universe is not merely described by mathematics, but
> is mathematics (specifically, a mathematical structure
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_structure>). Mathematical
> existence equals physical existence, and all structures that exist
> mathematically exist physically as well. Observers, including humans, are
> "self-aware substructures (SASs)". In any mathematical structure complex
> enough to contain such substructures, they "will subjectively perceive
> themselves as existing in a physically 'real' world".[4]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis#cite_note-4>

That is refuted by the mechanist hypothesis and its consequence, although it is
less wrong that materialism, it fails to see that the physical is
phenomenological. I have developed this with more details a long time ago in
this list. The shorter way to understand this is to study my papers. To equate
mathematical existence with physical existence does not make any sense, and
might be unfair to Tegmark (but his view have evolved, so I am not sure).
That wiki entry is bad, but I would prefer people argue instead of relying on
links, which distracts and add obscurity more than adding light. I have not the
time, but I could criticised each line of that entry.

Perhaps the main critics is that the “mathematical universe hypothesis” is not
an hypothesis, nor a speculation. It is the material hypothesis which is the
speculation here, as no-one has ever found the slightest experimental evidence
for matter, in the ontological sense. Nothing makes sense in that wiki page.

> To say that a mathematical object  exist physically, does not make sense. It
> starts with a category error.
>
> I don't think you know what the MUH is. I have falsified it. AG

Good me too. But with mechanism, the material hypothesis, and/or physicalism,
is/are  falsified too.

Bruno