On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 8:46 PM Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

 >>gravity is 10^36 times weaker than electromagnetism
>

> >*This is because the comparison is to the gravitational attraction of
> elementary particles, such as two protons.  But the masses of elementary
> particles like protons are not fundamental. *

The standard model says electrons ARE fundamental and the difference
between the two forces between the 2 electrons is even greater than it is
between 2 protons because the electromagnetic force is just as strong but,
because they are less massive, the gravitational force between 2 electrons
is 1835 weaker than the gravitational force between 2 protons.

> *> They are massless except for internal energy or for the small coupling
> to the Higgs field. *

According to the standard model the Higgs field gives mass to fundamental
particles that have no internal structure like electrons and quarks, but as
you pointed out protons and neutrons are not fundamental particles. If you
added up the mass of all the electrons and quarks in your body it would
only amount to about 1% of your mass, 99% comes not from the Higgs field
but from the binding energy that keeps the quarks inside the protons and
neutrons because, due to E=Mc^2,  we can equate energy and mass.

Neutrinos also have mass, its much less even than the electron's but its
not zero, and nobody knows why, the standard model can't explain it and
neither can anything else that we know about.

> > The* fundamental* unit of mass is the Planck mass

Maybe, maybe not, some theories say so but there is not a scrap of
experimental evidence in support of the idea. If we had a good quantum
theory of gravity we could test it but we don't.

> *and when it is used the force between two fundamental masses is 137 times
> greater than the EM force between two unit charges.*

1/137 is very close to the fine structure constant and it relates the
strength of the electromagnetic interaction between 2 electrons,
specifically it is the ratio between  the energy needed to overcome the
electrostatic repulsion between two electrons a distance d apart and the
energy in one photon with a wavelength (2PI)*d.  The only thing it has to
do with gravity I know about is if d is the Planck length then the energy
in the photon is so large and is concentrated into such a small space that
it becomes a Black Hole.  Quantum mechanics can't tell us what happens if d
is smaller than that and neither can General Relativity, that's why we need
a quantum theory of gravity.

 John K Clark