On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 3:58:36 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 14 Dec 2018, at 19:41, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> But suppose that "mathematics is material”.
>

> What could that even mean?

It means (in the approach I like) that *math is fiction,* just as defined
in *Fictionalism in the Philosophy of Mathematics*

    [ https://www.iep.utm.edu/mathfict/ ]

(mainly beginning with the definition given by Hartry Field).

This is a very clearly written article. I don't see what the mystery is to
"mathematics is material". (One can disagree with fictionalism, but at
least one should read about what it is).

(An alternative to fictionalism is constructivism.)

- pt