On 4/16/2019 6:10 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019, at 03:44, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List wrote:
You seem to make self-reference into something esoteric. Every Mars Rover knows where it is, the state of its batteries, its instruments, its communications link, what time it is, what its mission plan is.

I don't agree that the Mars Rover checking "it's own" battery levels is an example of what is meant by self-reference in this type of discussion. The entity "Mars Rover" exists in your mind and mine, but there is no "Mars Rover mind" where it also exists. The entity "Telmo" exists in your mind and mine, and I happen to be an entity "Telmo" in whose mind the entity "Telmo" also exists. This is real self-reference.

Or, allow me to invent a programming language where something like this could me made more explicit. Let's say that, in this language, you can define a program P like this:

program P:
    x = 1
    if x == 1:
        print('My variable x s holding the value 1')

The above is the weak form of self-reference that you allude to. It would be like me measuring my arm and noting the result. Oh, my arm is x cm long. But let me show what could me meant instead by real self-reference:

program P:
    if length(P) > 1000:
        print('I am a complicated program')
    else:
        print('I am a simple program')

Do you accept there is a fundamental difference here?

I take your point.  But I think the difference is only one of degree.  In my example the Rover knows where it is, lat and long and topology.   That entails having a model of the world, admittedly simple, in which the Rover is represented by itself.

I would also say that I think far too much importance is attached to self-reference.  It's just a part of intelligence to run "simulations" in trying to foresee the consequences of potential actions.  The simulation must generally include the actor at some level.  It's not some mysterious property raising up a ghost in the machine.

Brent

Telmo

   Whether it is "formalizable" or not would seem to depend on choosing the right formalization to describe what engineers already create.

Brent