1) Rover doesn't know anything, since knowing is a property of
consciousness. Rover doesn't have a model of the world, since having a
model of the world means being aware of a world, and awareness is a
property of consciousness. What does "Rover is represented by itself" even
mean ? I think what you're doing now is to talk about properties that you,
as a consciousness, have them, and carelessly starting to attribute those
properties to lifeless objects. I would suggest a more rigorous thinking
process. Don't haste in applying concepts where they don't belong.

2) Is it you that don't understand the meaning of self-reference, that's
why you fail to understand its usage. Self-reference is not "a ghost in the
machine", but is an eternal logical structure that is the source of all
existence. By employing its eternal property of looking-back-at-itself,
self-reference finds objects in itself and gives birth to all the
consciousnesses in the world.

On Wednesday, 17 April 2019 06:03:34 UTC+3, Brent wrote:

> 1)

I take your point.  But I think the difference is only one of degree.  In
> my example the Rover knows where it is, lat and long and topology.   That
> entails having a model of the world, admittedly simple, in which the Rover
> is represented by itself.
>
> 2)

I would also say that I think far too much importance is attached to