On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 9:57 AM 'Cosmin Visan'  <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

*> If you obtain consciousness, that consciousness will have free will, so*
> [...]

Free Will?! In the entire history of philosophy or law nothing has
generated more fuzzy thinking than "free will", it's so bad it's not even
wrong. To be wrong an idea must first convey a thought, an erroneous
thought but a thought nevertheless, but like a burp "free will" conveys
nothing, it's just a sound made with the mouth.

>>The "I" in AI stands for intelligence not consciousness, do you believe a
>> AI can be intelligent?  And by "intelligent" I mean whatever you meant
>> when, as I'm sure you've said at some point in your life about another
>> human, "that guy is really smart".
>>

> *> Intelligence is the property of consciousness of bringing new qualia
> into existence that never existed before in the entire history of
> existence.*

You have no way of directly detecting the qualia experience by other
people, assuming they experience qualia at all, all you can do is assume
without proof that when they behave in ways similar to you they experience
qualia similar to the qualia you experience. And the fact that a AI's brain
is dry and hard and not wet and squishy is no reason to treat them any
differently.  I judge entities, human or otherwise, by the content of their
ideas not the wetness of their brain.

> *Don't you think this is quite unlike the fantasy of AI ? *

Nope. And if conscious AI's are a fantasy then all minds other than my own
are a fantasy including yours.

> "Matter" doesn't exist.

OK, but then can you tell me how things would be different if matter DID
exist? If you can't then the existence or nonexistence of something is a
question of no importance whatsoever. And that road leads to madness. I can
tell you that if the atoms in your were to cease to exist and no record was
kept about how the atoms were arranged it  would have a rather important
effect on your consciousness. And I can also tell you that when atoms of
silicon are arranged in certain ways it can beat you at Chess and GO and
can solve partial differential equations that you can not. At one time that
was considered intelligent but some keep moving the goalpost so that now
intelligence is defined as anything that computers aren't good at, *YET*.

>> What's with this "we" business? I know for a fact I'm conscious but your
>> consciousness is an unproven hypothesis no different from assuming an AI is
>> conscious.
>>

> *> Is not at all the same thing.*

Tell me the difference! I am quite certain you don't consider your fellow
humans to be conscious all the time, not when they're sleeping or under
anesthesia or dead because they don't behave intelligently then. I can't
think why the same criteria should not be used for an AI. But as a
practical matter it will make little difference if you believe a AI is
conscious or not because in just a few years humanity will no longer be in
the driver's seat. So the important question is will the AI consider you to
be conscious or not.

> > *Other consciousnesses are postulated based on our own consciousness, *

Exactly. But how does that show that a computer can't be conscious even
when it's acting intelligently?

John K Clark