On Friday, 26 April 2019 17:27:48 UTC+3, Terren Suydam wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 10:08 AM 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List <
> everyth...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>

>> On Friday, 26 April 2019 16:14:07 UTC+3, Terren Suydam wrote:
>>>

>>> You really can't see the difference between the way a cochlear implant
>>> creates new qualia, versus riding a bike?  If you want to be taken
>>> seriously you'll have to do better than that.
>>>

>> What is the difference ?
>>

> One introduces a new sense, and the other introduces new experience in
> terms of senses one already has. If it's too difficult to understand that
> difference, we can talk about creating a brand new sense to detect, say,
> the earth's magnetic field, and using a neural implant to feed data about
> the magnetic field into the brain. I wanted to stick though to something
> that has already been achieved, and there is no difference in principle
> between the deaf person with a cochlear implant, and any human getting a
> technology-mediated sense of the earth's magnetic field.
>
> The original question was asking for an explanation of how this new kind
> of sense qualia could arise when it's mediated by a technological device.
> I expect this to be a problem for you, because of your insistence that such
> devices don't exist, and your lack of ability to account for the
> correspondence between brain states and qualia.

I don't think there is any fundamental difference between a new sense and
experiences in terms of senses one already has. They are both
manifestations of emergence. For example, the auditory domain is not
exactly "a new sense". Is just a set of qualia that emerge upon the quale
of time. And then it keeps branching: from sounds in one direction you get
language, in another direction you get music, etc. So it is itself a "new
experience in terms of senses one already has - the sense of time". So the
problem is not particular about how a certain "sense" appears, but is the
general problem of how qualia appear. Now, regarding how qualia appear, the
straight answer is that I don't know. And nobody knows. Nevertheless, I can
give some guiding clues. For example, what we call "senses" and their basic
qualia appear to be sets of qualia that serve evolutionary purposes. As I
also mentioned in another post, red and green appeared to see fruits in
trees, yellow and blue appeared to see the sun in the sky. We can imagine
something like this: an animal was seeing only shades-of-gray and he was
starving. The fruits were right in front of him, but because he didn't have
the qualia of red and green, he couldn't see them. So he was one step from
dying. And then all of a sudden red and green appeared in his consciousness
and he survived. You can take some quantum-suicide view on this: you always
continue in the universe in which you remain alive. So this might be a
tentative explanation. But of course it is not the full story since in
everyday life we keep getting new qualia without our lfie being in danger.
So a more general principle must be sought. Of course, that principle will
only show us the conditions under which qualia appear, but it will not be
able to tell us what those qualia will be. All we will ever be able to do
is to subject ourselves to those conditions and see what qualia appear in
our consciousness.

Regarding your specific example with the implant that appear to be in
direct connection with generating auditory qualia, this is not so. The
conditions for auditory qualia are already present in the "brain", so that
implant will just activate those conditions. But since in the "brain" most
probably there are no conditions to sense the magnetic field of the Earth,
you will not be able to apply the same strategy. This is not to say that it
is impossible for us to sense the magnetic field. It might be possible, but
you will have to satisfy some more fundamental conditions.

>>> That doesn't explain anything.
>>>

>> It depends to what level you want the explanation to be taken. For the
>> level at which you asked the question, that is the answer. If you ask the
>> question at a more deeper level, like how exactly the difference in light
>> sensitive cells in the eyes ultimately determine the experienced qualia,
>> then I don't know. And nobody does.
>>

> Do you know what I'm asking for when I ask for an explanation?  I'm asking
> how it works. How to the consciousnesses interact?  And how does that
> interaction create the situation where you can see the full spectrum of
> visible color, but I cannot?
>
> If you don't know, then you have given me no reason at all to take your
> ideas seriously.  You're just doing a bunch of hand-waving. Not only that,
> you're telling everyone else they're wrong if they don't agree with you.
> It's a crude strategy, but it's worked miracles for religious evangelists
> over the millenia. I don't think it'll work here though.

See above. Also, not having an explanation doesn't mean that anything goes,
like AIs. Some things are clearly fantasies.

>>> If you're equating science done in dreams and science done in reality,
>>> you're a solipsist.
>>>
>>> No. Because I allow for other consciousnesses to exist.
>>

> Do you know for sure they do?  Or do you just allow for the possibility?

I have 3 ideas that I take for granted in my thinking, because I don't
think there is any way to prove them true:

1) Other consciousnesses exist.
2) Memories are true.
3) Reason is true.

If you don't take these 3 things for granted, there is nothing much left to
do except indulging in hedonism.