On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 11:21 AM 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 26 April 2019 17:27:48 UTC+3, Terren Suydam wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 10:08 AM 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List <
>> everyth...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

>>> What is the difference ?
>>>

>> One introduces a new sense, and the other introduces new experience in
>> terms of senses one already has. If it's too difficult to understand that
>> difference, we can talk about creating a brand new sense to detect, say,
>> the earth's magnetic field, and using a neural implant to feed data about
>> the magnetic field into the brain. I wanted to stick though to something
>> that has already been achieved, and there is no difference in principle
>> between the deaf person with a cochlear implant, and any human getting a
>> technology-mediated sense of the earth's magnetic field.
>>
>> The original question was asking for an explanation of how this new kind
>> of sense qualia could arise when it's mediated by a technological device.
>> I expect this to be a problem for you, because of your insistence that such
>> devices don't exist, and your lack of ability to account for the
>> correspondence between brain states and qualia.
>>

> I don't think there is any fundamental difference between a new sense and
> experiences in terms of senses one already has. They are both
> manifestations of emergence. For example, the auditory domain is not
> exactly "a new sense". Is just a set of qualia that emerge upon the quale
> of time. And then it keeps branching: from sounds in one direction you get
> language, in another direction you get music, etc. So it is itself a "new
> experience in terms of senses one already has - the sense of time". So the
> problem is not particular about how a certain "sense" appears, but is the
> general problem of how qualia appear. Now, regarding how qualia appear, the
> straight answer is that I don't know. And nobody knows. Nevertheless, I can
> give some guiding clues. For example, what we call "senses" and their basic
> qualia appear to be sets of qualia that serve evolutionary purposes. As I
> also mentioned in another post, red and green appeared to see fruits in
> trees, yellow and blue appeared to see the sun in the sky. We can imagine
> something like this: an animal was seeing only shades-of-gray and he was
> starving. The fruits were right in front of him, but because he didn't have
> the qualia of red and green, he couldn't see them. So he was one step from
> dying. And then all of a sudden red and green appeared in his consciousness
> and he survived. You can take some quantum-suicide view on this: you always
> continue in the universe in which you remain alive. So this might be a
> tentative explanation. But of course it is not the full story since in
> everyday life we keep getting new qualia without our lfie being in danger.
> So a more general principle must be sought. Of course, that principle will
> only show us the conditions under which qualia appear, but it will not be
> [...]

Monkeys that were previously colorblind had their retinas infected with a
retrovirus to cause new color sensing cone cells to grow. Within a few
months they were able to perceive an entirely new class of colors they were
previously blind to: https://www.wired.com/2009/09/colortherapy/

Birds, and some humans have four types of color sensing cones in their
retinas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromacy), by some estimates
they can see 100 million colors while most humans can see only 1 million.
Some species of shrimp have 16 types of cones.  What do you think about the
consciousness being able to experience altogether new colors and quale just
by being given an additional input signal that is uncorrelated to the
existing input signals?

Jason