On 5/12/2019 1:35 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:

On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 9:21:45 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

    On 5/11/2019 6:58 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

    On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 6:52:36 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

        On 5/11/2019 4:16 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

        On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 6:06:31 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

            On 5/11/2019 3:45 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

            On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 3:31:19 PM UTC-5, Cosmin
            Visan wrote:

                How do AI fanboys explain telepathy and
                precognition ? In the case of consciousness <> AI,
                telepathy and precognition are more easily
                explainable, in the sense that consciousness being
                non-local, it can indeed create cases in which
                spatially and temporally separated consciousness
                can communicate. But in the case of local AIs, how
                can such phenomena have any chance of being
                explained ?

            I doubt telepathy, but I do have a low-level
            precognition thought experiment handy:

            In the typical EPR experiment setup, particle A goes
            one way, and particle B goes another way, to detector-A
            and detector-B respectively.

            Now particles A and B are "entangled"
            (quantum-mechanically) , so that detector-B settings
            will stochastically influence what detector-A detects
            (and vice versa).

            Now suppose detector-A is placed in a person's brain
            (not far away) in such a way that particle A (via
            detector-A) influences a neuron or two, but detector-B
            is light years (traveling distance) away. Can
            detector-B settings made years in the future influence
            what the person's neurons do in the present?

            Why make it impossible to perform by placing B far
            away?  The only relevant condition is whether Bob's
            setting was made space-like or time-like relative to
            Alice's.  And that kind of experiment has been done.
            There is correlation per QM.

            Brent

        Huh? I claimed it was possible to perform. Not impossible to
        perform.

        You claim we can send Bob light years away to perform this
        experiment??  How?

        And why bother since Aspect has already done it with Bob
        selecting his setting space-like relative to Alice's?  The
        case in which Bob's setting is done in Alice's future light
        cone has been done too, but isn't very interesting since
        Alice could then influence Bob's setting.   Are you testing
        whether Alice's neurons will agree with Alice's instruments?
        I don't see what you're getting at?

        Brent

    No. Bob could be someone on another planet (Bob will in the
    future of that other planet).

    Or the idea already discussed, that the B particle could go out
    into space and heavy masses could bend its path around and it
    returns to Earth. In the future.

    In any case, Bob is someone in the future, not the present.

    So suppose Alice, in her lab makes a setting and measures her
    entangled particle.   The she walks down the hall to Bob's lab and
    says, "Ok, Bob you are in the future of my setting and
    measurements.  Go ahead and do your thing." What difference is
    there between that and Bob is on another planet?  He's in Alice's
    future light cone.

    Brent

/The EPR thought experiment, performed with electron–positron pairs. A source (center) sends particles toward two observers, electrons to Alice (left) and positrons to Bob (right), who can perform spin measurements./
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPR_paradox#Measurements_on_an_entangled_state

The A particle travels 10 feet to the A-detector (Alice).
The B particle travels 2.939e+14 miles* (50 light years) to the B-detector (Bob).

Bob could be on another planet. Or on Earth, if the B particle path could be bent around somehow via GR.

Bob may be 30 years old. He hasn't yet been born when Alice gets the A particle.

But my question is what is being tested in the experiment that isn't tested when Bob is just down the hall.  Are you concerned that the entanglement will "get old" as the photon travels 50 light years (even though it's proper time lapse is zero)?

Brent

* calculation via Google

But with the phenomenon of "quantum entanglement" it occurs to me that some /weak/ form of both telepathy and precognition could occur:

*Stabilized entanglement of massive mechanical oscillators*
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0038-x

But how weak, TBD.

@philipthrift
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/27609bee-bf6d-47ff-8245-8edbdb60fda4%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/27609bee-bf6d-47ff-8245-8edbdb60fda4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.