On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 12:31:12 PM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> Concerning mathematical logic and theology, an incredible book is:
>
> Cohen J. Daniel, 2007. Equations from God, Pure Mathematics and Victorian
> Faith, John Hopkins Press, Baltimore.
>
> That book shows that the whole field of mathematical logic is born from
> Victorian Faith. I suspected this from my reading of Lewis Carroll, but I
> did not suspect it to be so historically true. Then, it explains the way
> this has been hidden, for the professional benefits of the whole of
> Mathematics, but that did not help for the field of theology, alas.
>

> Bruno

Now that book I have never heard of before!

https://books.google.com/books/about/Equations_from_God.html?id=eYtfAQAACAAJ

Incredible. (No pun intended.)

Throughout history, a*pplication rather than abstraction* has been the
prominent driving force in mathematics. From the compass and sextant to
partial differential equations, mathematical advances were spurred by the
desire for better navigation tools, weaponry, and construction methods. But
the religious upheaval in Victorian England and the fledgling United States
opened the way for* the rediscovery of pure mathematics*, a tradition
rooted in Ancient Greece.

In "Equations from God," Daniel J. Cohen captures the origins of the
rebirth of abstract mathematics in the intellectual quest to rise above
common existence and touch the mind of the deity. Using an array of
published and private sources, Cohen shows how philosophers and
mathematicians seized upon the beautiful simplicity inherent in
mathematical laws *to reconnect with the divine* and traces the route by
which the divinely inspired mathematics of the Victorian era begot later
secular philosophies.

Thank you. This made my day.

@philipthrift  (Ph.D., Applied Mathematics)