> On 8 Jul 2019, at 12:42, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 4:58:32 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 6 Jul 2019, at 13:32, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
>> wrote:
>>

>> On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 1:42:20 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>> On 6 Jul 2019, at 05:57, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <>> wrote:
>>

>> Whatever logic it is, its semantics (of a theory in that logic) is the
>> elephant in the room.
>>
>> - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics_of_logic
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics_of_logic>
>> - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_theory
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_theory>
>> e.g. Whereas universal algebra provides the semantics for a signature, logic
>> provides the syntax.
>> - https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/model-theory/
>> <https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/model-theory/>
>>
>> Semantics is the wild, wild west of logic.
>

> You might try to make a point, perhaps. Semantic is obviously very important.
>
> Logic can be divided in three chapters:
>
> - theory of theories and proofs (cf Gödel)
>
> - semantics (Model theory) (cf Lowenheim, Skolem and Tarski, Mostowski, …)
>
> - the relation between, theories and models, that is the study of (all)
> theories and all their semantics, usually through completeness and
> incompleteness theorems.
>
> Semantic is the heart of “modern logic”.  I do avoid using it here to much,
> because it is quickly rather technical. I hope people have some idea that the
> structure (N, 0, +, *) (which is the set N with the usual standard
> interpretation of + and *) is a model of both RA and PA. I might say a bit
> more in the glossary I am preparing. All “rich” theories have infinitely many
> non isomorphic models, and by incompleteness no theories at all can study its
> own semantics, but some theories can still say a lot about it, like its own
> incompleteness.
>
> Bruno
>

> Semantics is real thing, so to speak, to me.
>
> There are two types of semantics:
>
> Fictional  - regarding all the mathematical structures of standard model
> theory you refer to above (Hartry Field)

The non standard model would be less fictional?

The word “fiction” can be misleading. I prefer to use “immaterial”, or
“spiritual”, or “mental”, perhaps.

> Material - things/entities in the material world

Those are important, but if we assume mechanism, I don’t think we can assume
matter, but we can explain its appearances from the machine’s consciousness
theory (theology) and test it empirically. Up to now, the evidences favours
mechanism.

> Semantics and substrates are connected, it not identical. That's my blog.

I can’t really make sense of this.

> Also
>
> There is in my opinion no important theoretical difference between natural
> languages and the artificial languages of logicians. (Richard Montague)

For a monist, the difference between natural and artificial is artificial, and
indeed natural for those entities which develop a big ego and feel different.

Of course there is a difference between the formal languages and the “natural”
languages, and Richard Montague attempt to develop a sort of polymodal rich
lambda calculus for the treatment of natural language is very interesting.
So I appreciate your opinion that there is no fundamental difference between
those type of languages. When I was younger I have made a universal programming
language (ANIMA° which was also a subset of natural language (English). You
could ask the computer things like, “could you please find a file with some
document on number in my computer, and if not, on the net?”. But it was very
slow, and people prefer shortcuts …

Bruno