> On 24 Jul 2019, at 12:17, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 4:59:35 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
> Biology is certainly different from physics, but that does not mean that
> terrestrial biology is not conceptually reducible to physics.
>
> Like with mechanism, physics remains different from arithmetic and computer
> science, but is conceptually reducible to or explained by, arithmetic.
>
> It is important to distinguish the ontology (what we assume at the start, and
> which is eventually shown *necessary* to assume), and the phenomenologies
> derived in the ontology, which does not introduce any new assumptions (only
> definitions).
>
> Bruno
>

> Does "conceptually reducible" mean anything? It means nothing to me.

A theory T1, which intended domain discourse D1 is reduced to a theory T2, with
domain D2, if T2 interpret D1 in D2, and proves the corresponding theorem of T1.

Basically, this means that T2 is not needed to be assumed, as T1 do the right
task. Then if T1 is simpler than T2, there is again, especially if T2 looks
like contradicting T1.

> Start with the Standard Model in Lagrangian language:
>

> https://www.sciencealert.com/images/Screen_Shot_2016-08-03_at_3.20.12_pm.png
> <https://www.sciencealert.com/images/Screen_Shot_2016-08-03_at_3.20.12_pm.png>
>
> Can one compile or translate the theories of biology into this? If so, it
> could be made explicit.

You need only the part on the electromagnetic interaction
(photon/electron/nucleus). Chemistry is *the* big success of quantum physics.
Quantum filed theory go beyond, as it explains also the internal structure of
the nuclei, which does not pay a big role in biochemistry, except for the mass
and gravitation which is still unsolved.

To use Alain Connes explicit Lagrangian here, would like trying to do a coffee
using string theory. Possible in theory; but not in practice.

Similarly, Mechanism explains (up to now, and until refutation) why there is
consciousness and where the apparence of a physical reality comes from, in a
constructive way (leading to difficult problem in pure arithmetic/mathematical
logic).

Bruno