On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 11:31 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> definitions can't compute, not even official definitions. Only physical
>> machines can compute. and yet about every third word in your posts about
>> the nature of computing is "definition", "theory" or "proof" even though
>> none of those things can compute.
>

> *> But I did try to explain you that you are confusing “definition”,
> “theory”” or “proof”, which are syntactical finite object with what they
> represent (in the intended model).*

It would not matter even if I did confuse them because "the intended model"
can't compute any better than “definition”, “theory”” or “proof” can. Only
a Physical Turing Machine can make a calculation that is NOT a metaphysical
phantom calculation and can actually *do* things, like mine Bitcoins.

*> To sum up, “2+2=4” does not compute, but the fact that 2 + 2 = 4 is
> true,*

True? Without computation "2+2=4 is true" would not be a fact and it would
be neither true or false, it would be meaningless gibberish; and only a
Physical Turing Machine can make a calculation.

> >> Models can't compute.

*> It provides the meaning of “compute”,*

Turing Machines give meaning to "compute" and they can do something FAR
more profound than give a definition, they can provide an example.

>> Arithmetic, elementary or otherwise, can't compute.
>

> *The Arithmetical reality (the one that logician often represents by an
> infinite structured set in (intuitive or formal) set theory) cannot
> compute, nor can a physical universe,*

Then I guess NOTHING can compute, but then it's hard to figure out how
INTEL became a multi bullion dollar company by figuring out how to get the
element silicon to compute.

> *for one simple reason. We can’t give inputs or output. By definition.*

I have no idea what, if anything, you mean by that and it's not worth
trying to figure out because definitions can't compute.

*> But those type of realities can still dovetail on all computations.
> Computer science is somehow 0-dimensional. *

And the bafflegab continues.

>> But a Physical Turing Machines can *do* arithmetic, and nobody has ever
>> found anything else that can.
>

> *> Nobody has found a non physical machine to emulate a physical machine,
> indeed, we cannot make energy from natural numbers alone.*

So at last you agree to something I've been saying for years, physics can
do things mathematics can't.

> *But with the mechanist hypothesis, a computation* [...]

A hypothesis can't compute.

> *>  It is just that I have shown that you cannot possiblyI try only to
> show that you are using two assumptions which, when taken together, leads
> to a contradiction. Those are the assumption of Digital Mechanism, and the
> assumption of physicalism/materialism.*

John Clark will now make another assumption, John Clark assumes the above
is related to Bruno's notorious "proof", the one with a personal pronoun
duplicating machine, and wall to wall personal pronouns, and not a single
clear referent in the entire thing, and the bizarre assumption that
accurately predicting the future has something to do with the sense of
self.

 >> Except for yourself any conclusion you make about the consciousness or
>> lack of consciousness of ANYTHING is based on an assumption, and it's an
>> assumption that has zero evidence in favor of it and zero evidence against
>> it. And there is zero chance of that situation ever changing. That's
>> why, in dramatic contrast to intelligence theories, consciousness theories
>> are so easy to come up with, and it's why they are so completely useless.
>

> *> I only assume Mechanism. The YD + CT.  CT assumes* [...]

You consistently ignore IHA.

John K Clark