On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 7:36 PM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2019, at 04:06, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> If you do not measure which slit the photon went through, then the
> superposition of slits is not broken by decoherence.
>
> Decoherence break things only if there is a collapse.

That is simply incorrect. I refer you again to Zurek, who works in a
basically Everettian framework, but he stresses the importance of
environmental induced superselection (einselection) in producing the
preferred pointer basis. This then breaks things, in the sense that no
other basis is stable against decoherence, and other sets of basis vectors
rapidly (in times of the order of femtoseconds) collapse on to the
preferred pointer states. This is the basis of the emergence of the
classical world from the quantum substrate. And this occurs in Everett's
relative state approach just as much as in a Copenhagen-like collapse
models.

Without collapse, even if I measure which slit the photon went through, the
> two terms of the superposition continue to exist, describing me seeing both
> outcomes, and both me feel like if there has been a collapse,

No, that is not really true. Complementarity plays a role. Measurement of
which slit the photon went through is incompatible with the effective
momentum measurement that gives interference at the screen. That is
essentially why the slit measurement destroys the possibility of
interference. There is an incompatibility between the measurements --
basically related to the non-commutation of position and momentum operators
and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

and that decoherence is physical real, but that illusion is explained by
> the formalism, in a manner similar to the WM duplication: it is just first
> person indeterminacy, not in a self-duplication, but in a self entanglement.

Not really true, either. Decoherence, the formation of a stable pointer
basis, and the like, are all essential for the emergence of the classical
from the quantum, and the formation of objective physical states. This is
the operation of Zurek's Quantum Darwinism -- the environment acting as
witness. So this is third person objective physics -- it is not first
person indeterminacy.

Bruce