> On 15 Aug 2019, at 02:54, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 10:10 PM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
> On 12 Aug 2019, at 14:42, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com
> <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> That is simply incorrect. I refer you again to Zurek, who works in a
>> basically Everettian framework, but he stresses the importance of
>> environmental induced superselection (einselection) in producing the
>> preferred pointer basis. This then breaks things, in the sense that no other
>> basis is stable against decoherence, and other sets of basis vectors rapidly
>> (in times of the order of femtoseconds) collapse on to the preferred pointer
>> states. This is the basis of the emergence of the classical world from the
>> quantum substrate. And this occurs in Everett's relative state approach just
>> as much as in a Copenhagen-like collapse models.
>
> That explains why the many histories will look classical. But if I observe a
> cat in the dead+alive state,
>
> The point of the existence of a preferred basis is that you will never
> observe a cat in a "dead+alive" state.

If that is what you mean, we both agree that Everett + Zurek solves that
problem. But the point is that If I observe the cat with an apparatus deciding
between alive and dead, I will put myself in the corresponding superposition,
unless some physical collapse occurs, but then we are no more in Everett’s QM
(QM without collapse).

Bruno