On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 10:25 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> On 8/25/2019 6:41 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Sunday, August 25, 2019, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
> everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

>> On 8/25/2019 2:29 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 25, 2019, 12:38 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
>> everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 8/24/2019 11:42 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

>>> While I agree any mind requires an
>>> instantiation/incarnation/realization, before we can continue I think we
>>> need to clarify what is meant by "physical".
>>>
>>> For example, do you think there is any important difference between a
>>> mathematical structure that is isomorphic to a physical universe and that
>>> physical universe?
>>>

>>> A mathematical structure is a relation between propositions defined by
>>> some rules of deduction.
>>>

>> This confuses truth with proof.
>>

>> c.f. Pontius Pilate
>>

>>   It is static.
>>>

>> All change is relative.
>>

>> There is no change in a mathematical structure.
>>

> Nor in physics. C.f. Einstein.
>

> "I'd rather know some of the questions than all  of the answers."
>     A. Einstein
> Pilate asked a question.
>

>> It has no "accidental" or as Bruno would say "geographic" features. Two
>>> mathematical structures can be isomorphic precisely because of this.
>>>

>> This shows only that there's often many ways of talking about what is
>> fundamentally the same thing.
>>

>> Don't you notice that "fundamentally" is a weasel word, signally that
>> your sentence is strickly false.  A Leibniz noted, if two things are the
>> same then they are only one thing.
>>

> That's what I said.
>

> So if you could (although I think you can't) create a mathematical
> structure exactly the same as our universe, it would be our universe and it
> would be physical.
>

>From this it follows that if platonism is true, and all possible
mathematical structures exist, it accounts for our observation of a
physical universe.

Unless for some reason our universe is not a possible mathematical
structure.  You and John have argued this, stipulating that "accidents",
"randomness", and "time" are not mathematical.  But I don't think you have
convincingly shown any of these are properties of the universe rather than
effects of observation.

>>   It is impossible that a mathematical and a physical structure be
>>> isomorophic.
>>>

>> Why?
>>

>> Because physical things have "accidental" attributes and relations.
>>

> Define accidental.  I'm not sure you can define it in such a way that a
> physical object could have it while a mathematical object could not.
>

> One not necessary,

If every possible mathematical structure exists, then everything (including
what you might call accidents) is necessary.

> random.

It is generally impossible to differentiate a random sequence from one
produced by an algorithm.  What you may take as evidence of randomness
could instead be the output of a complex deterministic algorithm.

If QM required collapse, or if the universe had to be envisioned as an
evolving 3d space, rather than a static 4d spacetime, I would agree with
you that would be strong evidence against mathematical existence, but since
both of these ideas have been shown as unnecessary complications of the
simpler physical view (i.e. spactime, and no collapse qm) I consider those
successes to be evidence in favor of mathematical existence.

Jason