On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 7:46:27 AM UTC-6, Jason wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 14, 2019, 4:36 AM Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:

>>> Why do you assume this?  Most cosmologists make no such assumption.
>>> Under the concordance (standard assumed) model of cosmology, space is
>>> infinite.

>>> There's no observational motivation for the universe being very very
>>> small at the beginning.  It could have been small, large or infinite, for
>>> all we know.
>>>

>> I've never read a description of inflation where the universe is
>> described as very large spatially when it initiates. Never. It's always
>> claimed it begins a few Planck durations (10^-43 seconds) after the BB, at
>> which time the spatial diameter is many orders of magnitudes smaller than
>> the diameter of a proton. It then expands to the diameter of the Earth or
>> the Solar System before terminating, all this occuring within the first
>> second after the BB. AG
>>

> I think we need to clearly distinguish between three periods, which are
> frequently confused:
>
> 1. "quantum vacuum phase" Size: ??? Time: ???
> If inflation began as a fluctuation in the vacuum, the vacuum was a
> pre-existing initial condition. We can say nothing of it's size or how long
> it has existed.  Alternatively, this vacuum may have already been in a
> state of exponential expansion and required no fluctuation to get started.
>

> 2. "Inflation start" Size: (min = Planck size, max = ???) Time: (min =
> fraction of second before hot stage of BB, max = finite but otherwise
> unlimited time ago).
> If inflation started as a fluctuation it could have started very small,
> but it would then grow exponentially forever.  How big it was when it
> stopped for us we can't say, but we can guess it had to have gone on for at
> least 10^-32 seconds to fit with observations.  This is only the minimum
> time, there's no known upper bound.  There's not necessarily any cooling
> during this time as the heat doesn't enter the picture until inflation
> begins to stop somewhere.
>
> 3. "Local inflation end", Size of inflating space: (undefined but ever
> growing), Size of pocket from outside: (finite but growing), Apparent size
> of pocket from inside: (finite or infinite depending on shape of the
> universe), Time: 13.8 BY ago.
>
> The "T = 0 of the BB" no longer makes sense in the inflation picture, the
> only place we can begin to speak of absolutes with time is when we speak of
> the local end to inflation in our pocket.
>
> Jason

I'll say it again. One the main reasons to posit inflation is to explain
the observable large scale homogeneity of a universe that is now NOT
causally connected. If the universe was very very tiny when inflation
started, it WAS then causally connected, and inflation preserved the
homogeneity. This is what Guth was trying to solve with inflation, among
other problems, such as no detectable monopoles. This entire logic breaks
down if one assumes an infinite universe at the time of inflation. In this
case, the infinite universe was always homogeneous even though it was never
causally connected. Further, how could it have been so hot 380,000 years
after the BB if it wasn't dense at that time? An infinite universe right
after the BB would be COOL, and COOLER after 380,000 years had elapsed. All
of the foregoing makes a decent case for a universe which was very very
tiny right after the BB. AG