On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 3:27:41 PM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 7:28 AM Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > t*hat classical probability for a winning ticket is determined by some
>> quantum superposition of states that give a probability for a ticket to be
>> printed with some set of numbers, or for some probability of tickets being
>> distributed in some way.*
>>

> The Schrodinger wave equation says the ticket is printed in every possible
> way and the winning number is picked in every possible way, but that's not
> all you yourself are also a quantum object so you interact with the ticket
> in every possible way. Some interactions result in great wealth, some
> result in no profit, and some result in oblivion as in the suicide scenario
> .

The Schödinger equation says nothing of the sort. It is not a Charlie
Parker "anything goes" system. It just tells how probability amplitudes
that define a state or wave in a Fourier sum evolves with time. With large
scale systems there are massive levels of decoherence and ensuing
entanglement shifts. It would be argued there are some MWI splittings that
may play a role in determining the lottery number on the winning ticket,
but there is no way this can at all be localized or identified.

As for below the Wheeler Delayed Choice experiment in the MWI setting a
measurement of whether the electron went through a slit is performed after
it has passed. This would mean that a measurement at time T sets whether
the electron was in a slit at time t < T. We can say the measurement is
localized at time T, but in MWI we have to say the splitting of the world
wave function began at t.

This quantum suicide experiment might be argued to do something similar. If
I choose to go through with it I then select a world path I observe at a
time after the actual splitting happens. This leads to an ambiguity over
where one defines the localization of states in a measurement. The
advantage of MWI is that it is not local and this nonlocality may work well
in quantum gravity.

LC