On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 7:11:30 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 9:58 PM John Clark <johnk...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 4:49 AM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
>> <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>> > "Many Worlds" (as demonstrated via Sean Carroll here) demonstrates a
>>> failure of theoretical physics, or philosophy, or both.
>>>

>> And I think the above demonstrates a lack of courage to face the
>> possibility that reality may be structured in ways you do not like. As Carl
>> Sagan said  "*The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with
>> human ambition*".
>>

> Perhaps he could usefully have added: "nor to be in perfect harmony with
> any humanly devised equation."
>
> Bruce

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=11277

An Apology
Posted on September 15, 2019
<http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=11277> by woit
<http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?author=2>

I’m afraid I made a serious mistake in this previous posting discussing *Sean
Carroll’s new book* <http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=11128>.
Since the book was relatively reasonable, while the jacket and promotional
material that came with it were nonsense, I assumed that Carroll was just
being ill-served by his publisher. It’s now clear I was very wrong. He’s on
a book tour, and the nonsense is exactly what he is putting front and
center as a revelation to the public about how to understand quantum
mechanics. For a couple examples, here’s what was on the PBS News Hour
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsXCwUsuvKo>

The “many worlds” theory in quantum mechanics suggests that with every
decision you make, a new universe springs into existence containing what
amounts to a new version of you. Bestselling author and theoretical
physicist Sean Carroll discusses the concept and his new book, “Something
Deeply Hidden,” with NewsHour Weekend’s Tom Casciato.

and here’s something from his talk down the street from me
<https://twitter.com/Dr_CMingarelli/status/1171578265649201157>.

Using your public platform to tell people that the way to understand
quantum mechanics is that the world splits depending on what you decide to
do is simply What the Bleep?
<https://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=83> level stupidity.
Those in the physics and science communication communities who care about
the public understanding of quantum mechanics should think hard about what
they can do to deal with this situation. They may however come to the same
conclusion I’ve just reached: best to ignore him, which I’ll try to do from
now on.
@philipthrift