On 9/16/2019 2:51 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
On Mon, Sep 16, 2019, at 09:32, 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List wrote:
Any consciousness that invents that idea in itself.

Ok, but we clearly have some common ground. I can send you this message and you can read it.

Here's my simplistic / informal understanding of what is going on... Like you, I tend to believe that consciousness is more fundamental than physics, and I also agree that "human physics" is just an idea in consciousness.

I think this equivocates on "fundamental".  Consciousness is epistemically fundamental.  It's the basis of knowledge and specifically of the knowledge that is sharable (objective).  But based on that knowledge we have developed a theory of the world in which physics seems to be fundamental in the ontological sense. This theory implies that consciousness is a phenomenon emergent from certain complex processes, probably of the kind called computations.  There is a lot of empirical (sharable, objective) support for this, i.e. physical effects on the brain change the consciousness.

Brent

I think that we might diverge in that I also believe that science points to something real, as in, real phenomena with discernible patterns that you and me can agree with. My understanding is that you, me, everyone else are "windows" through which reality can be experienced. As far as I am concerned, first person experience is REALLY REAL(tm) and independent third person reality is a useful model with an unknown (perhaps unknowable) ontological status.

My point: why wouldn't an algorithm become such a "window" from which reality can be experienced? What's special about wet brains? This seems particularly obvious to me given that I have never even met you in person. You could be an algorithm running in silicon, as far as I am concerned.

Telmo.