On Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 12:19:40 PM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 11:59 AM Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> >>  Sean Carroll:
>>>
>>> So Isaac Newton came up with the rules of classical mechanics in the
>>> 1600s, but it wasn't until Laplace around the year 1800 that this
>>> implication of classical mechanics was realized.
>>> It's a clockwork universe.  That the way classical mechanics works is if
>>> you tell me the state of a system right now at one moment by which in
>>> classical mechanics you would mean the position and the velocity of every
>>> part, and you knew the laws of physics and you had arbitrarily large
>>> computational capacity,
>>> Laplace said of vast intelligence okay then to that vast intelligence
>>> the past and future would be as determined and known as the present was
>>> because that's the clockwork universe is deterministic everything is fixed
>>> once you know the present moment.
>>>

>> *> But Laplace was wrong in one very important respect. One can never
>> know the exact position and momentum of any particle, let alone the entire
>> universe. There are no perfect measurements! Further, the situation is
>> further aggravated by the Uncertainty Principle. In sum, using classical
>> mechanics the future is NOT determined by its present, imprecise
>> configuration. Not only is Laplace mistaken, but Carroll as well, who
>> should know better. AG *
>>

> Oh for christ sake! That remark is as stupid as your crap about the flying
> saucer people in New Mexico. Do you really think Sean Carroll, a professor
> of physics at one of the best universities in the world, doesn't know
> that?!
>
> John K Clark

Before you shoot your mouth off, read what I wrote in response to Brent.
Sean DOES know better, but he deliberately twisted Laplace's view to fit
his foolish agenda. Not very honest. As for flying saucers, they're really
much more probable than believing that some fool who does a double slit
experiment can create possibly uncountable worlds replete with stars,
galaxies, and living being; or nothing at all like that. I call it hubris
on steroids, but to some who are misguided, it seems quite normal. AG