> On 1 Oct 2019, at 14:13, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 9:38 PM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
> > On 1 Oct 2019, at 07:37, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> > <everything-list@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On 9/30/2019 9:52 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
> >>
> >> I haven't read Carroll's book, it isn't released in Australia until
> >> November. I would be interested to see if he has a better account of Bell
> >> non-locality than Wallace. About the spread of "splitting": decoherence is
> >> a local physical interaction -- photons interacting with walls and the
> >> like. This clearly spreads at the speed of light (or less). But splitting
> >> is not really just decoherence. The trouble with Bell non-locality is that
> >> the splitting of worlds is not a physical interaction like decoherence.
> >> Bruno and others speak about a "spread of entanglement" as being
> >> associated with the splitting. But again, entanglement is the result of
> >> physical interaction, and the interaction of looking at a pointer to see a
> >> result is not really an entanglement interaction. I think that there is a
> >> lot of loose thinking about this "splitting" process.
> >>
> >> The absence of disallowed branches (Alice and Bob both seeing spin-up with
> >> aligned polarisers) is not a matter of worlds (branches) cancelling by
> >> destructive interference, because there is no interaction -- the light
> >> carrying information from the space like separated measurements is not
> >> coherent, so it can't interfere. If it were coherent, allowing
> >> interference, then that coherence itself would indicate non-locality.
> >
> > But the copying of information as to the measurement result, quantum
> > Darwinism, is a physical interaction that writes the information into the
> > environment.  So that we can imagine that both UP and DOWN information
> > spreads from Alice and also separately from Bob.  Where they overlap in the
> > future they must correlate per QM.  Why can't we suppose that the
> > inconsistent worlds cancel out.  You say the light carrying the information
> > isn't coherent, but it's not just the light that carries the information;
> > it's information encoded in the wave function of the environment.  So no
> > small part of the environment (like the light) is going to appear coherent,
> > but it's still going to be inconsistent with the opposite result and zero
> > out cross terms in the density matrix.  That's essentially what the
> > mathematical process of taking the reduced trace does.
>
> Right. Then the non locality has disappeared from the wave equation at the
> start.
>
> How? The wave function itself is non-local.

It looks like that from the one term perspective, but the universal wave is
local. It is “just” a rotation in some space. All wave are typically local.

> The Wave act locally in the Hilbert space (or the von Neumann algebra, and we
> see non locality only from a branch/term perspective.
>
> But every branch in the Everettian picture shows non-locality.

Yes, but only due to the statistical interference between all terms of the
wave. The non-locality just shows that we have to take into account the
information even when it is no more accessible in direct or interactive way.

> Where do the other branches make each branch actually local? You are still
> not explaining anything.

I am not trying to explain everything. I am just saying that the violation of
Bell’s inequality does not prove any physical FTM influences.

> But without collapse, the non locality does not involved neither FTL
> communication, nor any FTL influence (which, for a realist on a unique world
> would be as much embarrassing).
>
> Neither collapse nor FTL are the issue. We can agree that there is no FTL
> action because that would amount to a local explanation -- the FTL exchange
> would interact locally at each end. The effect is non-local because the
> non-separable wave function is  intrinsically non-local. Lorentz invariance
> is intact because of the no signalling theorems.

You lost me with “the wave function is intrinsically non local”.

> That is why the violation of Bell’s inequality is a quasi-confimartion of the
> “other histories” being as real as our’s.
>
> As I said, the thought that Bell might be local in many worlds was really the
> last hope for MWI being of any use. But all attempts to demonstrate this have
> failed. The sort of mumbo jumbo you offer here is no better than Wallace's
> obscurantism.

It is up to those who believe in FTL to show them. If by non-locality you mean
“appearance of action at a distance, but without any FTL”, the I think we
agree. I can show that arithmetic entails intuitively and formally that type of
inseparability of the observable. It comes from the fact that the first person
cannot be aware of the UD-steps delays.

Bruno