On Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 6:59:35 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 9:54 AM Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>

>> ISTM, that the argument the universe was NOT in thermo equilibrium just
>> before inflation is alleged to have begun, is extremely WEAK. Thus, it's
>> illogical to claim that inflation "smooths out" the alleged NON thermo
>> equiiibrium just before inflation begun. AG
>>

> That is essentially what I said. Lawrence is just replacing one set of
> unknown initial conditions with another, equally unjustified, set.
>
> Bruce

The entropy is S = A/4ℓ_p^2 +  quantum corrections, where these corrections
are ~ (&S/&h^a)k^a. Here h^a is tangent to the horizon and k^a is normal.
This condition coincident on a null surface can appear on a quantum
extremal surface with null tangent g^s so that (&S/&h^a)k^a ≥ (&S/&g^a)k^a
by subadditivity. However, this surface occurs inside the cosmological
horizon. This means there is no equilibriium. Equilibrium is only
approximated by stretching the horizon out to enormous distance after the
spatial surface has inflated.

It is the case that inflation does not tell us the whole story prior to
inflation. So one can say there are equally unknown initial conditions.
However, the details of those are less important as the spatial manifold is
stretched out. That means inflation does provide at least a working system.

LC