From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Oct 23, 2019 2:52 pm
Subject: Re: Quantum Supremacy

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 1:11 PM spudboy100 via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> You once stated in this mailing list, that you thought the human world will
> change, if and when we hit 100 successful qubit operations. Does your
> conjecture on this still hold, or have you modified or discarded this?
 Google was working with 53 imperfect Qubits and still did something very
impressive, but the number of states the computer can be in doubles with each
added qubit so if they had 100 perfect Qubits that would indeed change the
world beyond recognition. Very recently Dario Gil, the head of IBM’s research
lab in Yorktown Heights New York said "Imagine you had 100 perfect qubits. You
would need to devote every atom of planet Earth to store bits to describe that
state of that quantum computer. By the time you had 280 perfect qubits, you
would need every atom in the universe to store all the zeros and ones."
If your Qubits aren't perfect then you're going to need quantum error
correction which will use up a lot of your Qubits, so a few pretty good Qubits
is better than a lot of crappy ones. Gil has developed a new way to measure the
power of a Quantum Computer he calls "quantum volume" which takes in account
both the number of Qubits and their quality. That's what's so exciting about
Microsoft's attempt to make a Topological Quantum Computer, if they're
successful their Qubits will be of extremely high quality requiring little
error correction.
John K Clark--
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv2cLy5NE35PyRjdtT4yhhC5U2%2B2r-9yZDc93nsn0F_YaA%40mail.gmail.com.