> On 15 Nov 2019, at 04:15, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 11/14/2019 6:30 PM, Alan Grayson wrote:
>>

>> On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 7:18:02 PM UTC-7, Brent wrote:
>>

>> On 11/14/2019 5:48 PM, Alan Grayson wrote:

>>> Not at all.  They do it all the time, because when it comes to aiming your
>>> telescope you do it relative                     to the Earth, not the Sun.
>>>
>>> Brent
>>>
>>> I was thinking of calculating the orbit of a planet. For stars apparently
>>> fixed on the celestial sphere, Earth centered calculations are convenient.
>>> AG
>>
>> Which is the point.  There is no "true" center of the solar system, there
>> are just more and less convenient coordinate systems in which to calculate
>> things.  So you need to ask yourself what do you mean when you say it is
>> more true that the Sun is the center of the solar system and the Earth
>> orbits the Sun than the other way around?  If you're honest you will
>> conclude that you mean it is easier to make good estimates of the future in
>> that coordinate system.  Why is Einstein's gravity "truer" than Newton's.
>> Why is the quantum atom better than the Bohr atom?  Why is Darwinian theory
>> better than Lamarckian.  The reason one scientific theory is better than
>> another is three dimensional:
>>
>> 1. It gives more accurate predictions where the theories overlap and no
>> emprically false ones.
>> 2. It has a wider domain of application.  It applies in more places or over
>> a bigger range of parameters.
>> 3. It is consilient with our other best theories.  So it reduces the number
>> of different things we must understand as independent.
>>
>> A theory that is better on all three dimensions, we regard as truer.   Not
>> the other way around: It is not the case that we judge it better because
>> it's truer, because we don't, and can't, know where the truth is.
>>
>> Brent
>>
>> So when we see ~200 billion stars rotating around the galactic enter, it's
>> equally true that each star can be           regarded as the center, with
>> everything rotating about itself.
>
> Sure.  You know there's no 'center of the universe' in any current model.
> For such a center to have any operational meaning would require that momentum
> not be conserved.
>
>> This is a form of relativity, let's call it the relativity of truth, that
>> find obscures the value of evolving models in better describing the external
>> world. AG
>
> Except that still invites looking at it backwards; as though there is
> something called "the truth" but it's relative to what we know.  I'm saying
> that there is a concept of "truer" that has an operational meaning, but there
> is no operational meaning to "the truth" that we are approximating.

Well, it is by definition the truth that we search.

> The only meaning I can give "the truth" is the collection of propositions
> expressing the known empirical facts; but even those are ambiguous because
> every observation depends on some theories.

So let us find a theory which do not depend on the observation, but still
predict them accurately (of course). Mathematical physics is a step in that
direction (and plays already an important role in physics), but for the
absolute truth, a theory of mind is simpler, and some determine entirely what
the physical reality lust look like.

Bruno