On 11/20/2019 3:28 PM, Alan Grayson wrote:

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 3:00:35 PM UTC-7, scerir wrote:

    Nevertheless, the SWE does not give a probability without some
    further assumptions. Why do you think that MWI advocates spend so
    much time an effort trying to derive the Born rule? You cannot
    get probabilities from the Schroedinger equation without some
    additional assumptions.

    Bruce

    In his Nobel lecture (The statistical interpretation of quantum
    mechanics, 1954)
    Born writes: "Again an idea of Einstein’s gave me the lead. He had
    tried to make the duality of particles - light quanta or photons -
    and waves comprehensible by interpreting the square of the optical
    wave amplitudes as probability density for the occurrence of
    photons. This concept could at once be carried over to the
    psi-function: |psi|^2 ought to represent the probability density
    for electrons (or other particles). It was easy to assert this,
    but how could it be proved?"

How could any of the postulates of QM "be proved"? All we can do is make assumptions and determine if they give good predictions. (Have you seen my email?) AG

Of course it was "proven" in the empirical sense of being used to successfully predict observations.