On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 1:50 AM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> which claim that Bell did assume counterfactual definiteness*"!
>>>

>> *> You are trolling again.*
>>

>  Mr. Kellett, please go fuck yourself.

When a person deliberately deletes relevant context in order to ridicule a
statement, it is called trolling.

> >> *All he *[Bell] *assumed was that any possible hidden variables were
>>>>

>>> You and Maudlin may believe that but it is certainly a minority
>>> viewpoint:
>>>
>>> *"The dependability of counterfactually definite values is a basic
>>> assumption, which, together with "time asymmetry" and "local causality" led
>>> to the Bell inequalities. Bell showed that the results of experiments
>>> intended to test the idea of hidden variables would be predicted to fall
>>> within certain limits based on all three of these assumptions"*
>>>

>> *> That is false*.
>>

> So Wikipedia says one thing and world class authority on Quantum Mechanics
> Bruce
> Kellett says the oposite (see reference below). I will let others on this
> list decide for themselves which one is more likely to be correct,

I think the real issue here is that you are clearly unable to show how and
where Bell assumed counterfactual definiteness, and how that was a crucial
ingredient in the proof of his inequality. When you think about it,
'counterfactual definiteness', as you have defined it in terms of a
particular concept of realism, amounts to nothing more than a particular
hidden variable. Namely, the value of the spin projection that exists
before measurement. So when Bell, in order to derive his inequality,
assumes that any possible hidden variable is local, and that inequality is
violated by experiment, what is ruled out is any form of local hidden
variable.  'Realistic' or 'counterfactually definite' variables are
automatically included. So there is no need for a separate assumption about
such things. Consequently, dropping counterfactual definiteness does not
evade Bell's general conclusion. That is why I can be so definite about
saying that your interpretation is false.

The Wikipedia definition of counterfactual definiteness is fine -- it is
more general than yours, but that does not matter. It is still not
something that Bell assumed, so saying that quantum mechanics, or
many-worlds, or whatever, does not honour counterfactual definiteness has
absolutely no impact ion Bell's result.

Besides, The correct answer in physics, as in anything else, is obtained by
logical argument, not by appeals to authority or citing non-authoratative
Wikipedia articles. The truth is not decided by the majority opinion.

Bruce