> On 1 Dec 2019, at 09:51, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 2:12:38 AM UTC-6, Alan Grayson wrote:
>
> It seems like a simple question aching for an answer. Why do physicists, many
> of them at least, prefer a baffling unintelligible interpretation of
> superposition, say in the case of a radioactive source, when the obvious
> non-contradictory one stares them in their collective faces? AG
>

> The fundamental and psychological problem many physicists have is that they
> take some mathematics  (in some particular theory) and assign physical
> realities to its mathematical entities.

That is the interesting problem. We use a mathematical formalism, but any
simple relation between that formalism and reality, to be correct, needs to NOT
make the superposed terms disappearing (indeed the quantum computation exploits
typically different terms of the superposition, like already the two slits).

De Broglie defended the idea that quantum mechanics was false on distance
bigger than an atom, and predicted that the EPR influence is absent on any
macroscopic distance, advocating your idea that the formalism should not be
taken literally; but eventually Bell has shown this to be testable, and Nature
has confirmed the formalism (Aspect and followers).

So, it is just false to NOT attribute a physical reality to all terms in the
wave. We would lost the interference effect. The problem of how to interpret
the wave is not solved by distantiation with the wave formalism, as Nature
confirms the weirdness imposed to the formalism.

> Most of them do not understand the nature of mathematics: It's a language (or
> collection of languages) about mathematical entities - which are thought of
> differently depending on one's philosophy of mathematics. (It is best to say
> they are fictions.) This is especially true when probability theory (as
> defined in mathematics) is involved.

With QM, the problem is that the amplitude of probability do interfere. In
arithmetic too, and for a mechanist, the conceptual problems are solved in a
radical way, as there is no time, nor space, only correlated minds. The fiction
is not in the math, but in the assumption that “physical” means ontological.

> This hopping between physical realities and mathematical entities leads them
> to them being unable to distinguish between them, or to communicate to the
> public the true nature of physics.

I would say that the problem comes from the materialists who mostly seem unable
to understand that the assumption of an ontological physical universe is a very
BIG assumption, without any evidences to sustain it, beyond the natural
instinctive extrapolation from simple experiences. When doing metaphysics with
the scientific method, it is important to be agnostic on this, as it is the
very subject of the research.

Bruno