> On 3 Dec 2019, at 23:06, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 8:03 PM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
> On 3 Dec 2019, at 03:18, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com
> <mailto:bhkellet...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> My brain currently has only one state.
> How do you know that? How could you know that.
>
> It is a pretty good hypothesis.
>> Other states may be consistent with my current conscious state, but these do
>> not exist. The idea that I am a superposition of all brain states consistent
>> with my consciousness is just idle speculation. How would you ever prove
>> such a thing?
> We cannot prove the existence of a physical universe, and if we assume
> mechanism, we cannot see how a universe could choose one state against the
> infinitely many others which lead to the same consciousness.
>
> The answer is simple. Do not assume mechanism. Then the physical universe is
> what it is,

In which theory of mind? Once you assume non-mechanism, you need to give your
theory of mind, and explain how it allows a unique universe.

> and your brain, being part of it, is what it is. No need to choose anything.

You need to choose a non-mechanist theory of mind. You are back to complete
ignorance. Note that Mechanism can be weakened a lot (like with Oracular Turing
machine) without changing the nature of the problem. Indeed, once you assume
some infinities, the complexity of the problem grows, even just its formulation.
I am a scientist, and I like Mechanism, not because I would think it is true,
but because the mind-body problem becomes a mathematical problem (extracting
physics from intensional arithmetic/computer science), and we can already test
the proposition physics (and it fits rather well).

>  Of course, this should not be a problem for a non-mechanist, except that he
> has to provide its non-mechanist theory of mind, and still explain the role
> of the (not finitely descriptible) substrate in generating its consciousness.
>
> So why should that be a problem? My non-mechanist theory of mind is that mind
> is what brains do.

That is not a theory. How do you explain the qualia and their non rational
communicability. To use the ontological (metaphysical) assumption of a primary
physical universe to explain mind is not better than to assume a god. It
explains nothing. You need a *testable*(refutable)  theory of mind.

> Why should I need to explain the role of the substrate in generating
> consciousness? I simply have to do normal science and explore the
> relationship between my physical brain and my conscious experience. Maybe
> difficult, but no
> insurmountable conceptual issues. Your problems here are all of your own
> making.

The Mechanist hypothesis is the older hypothesis in science and metaphysics.
Darwinism use it. Molecular biology confirms it. To assume non-mechanism is
usually done by religious literalist and their explanation is purely magical. I
am not sure you are aware of the difficulties of the mind-body problem. At
least you don’t use Mechanism to hide it, like many materialist. I will wait
for your theory of mind.
And then I will wait for your explanation of why there is a physical universe,
something that mechanism explains entirely (and I don’t know any theory
succeeding in that task). It explains also why the laws of physics have a
mathematical shape.

Bruno