On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 2:38:27 AM UTC-5, Alan Grayson wrote:

> On Monday, April 20, 2020 at 3:21:03 PM UTC-6, Lawrence Crowell wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 4:59:39 PM UTC-5, Alan Grayson wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe the Roman army was well paid, had a prestigious status in
>>> society, and had superior tactics in battle, using superior weapons, and
>>> perhaps most important was able to fight as a unit. But as Rome expanded it
>>> didn't do a great job in assimilating "the barbarians". Over time they
>>> became incorporated in the Roman army, acquired its weapons, and perhaps
>>> most important learned its tactical methods for fighting as a unit. Thus,
>>> over time, the Roman army lost its advantage, which led to the demise of
>>> the Empire. How correct is my thesis? TIA, AG
>>>

>> There are a number of reasons the Roman Empire fell. I think probably the
>> biggest reason is with the establishment of Christianity as the state
>> religion of the empire, the cultural paradigm of the empire became
>> irrelevant. The Orphic cultural and mystical basis of the classical world
>> from the time of Homer through the philosophy of Plotinus was largely
>> abandoned. This left the culture without strong roots, and the new
>> Christian civilization and power based on the Vatican rendered the empire
>> of little importance.
>>

> You make many excellent points in this post, but what seems vague, to me
> at least, is the role of classical world culture in giving the Empire a
> mission and reason for existence.

The Constitution of the US is a civilized basis for the country. Suppose
people stopped believing in it. This is in some sense as you might notice
happening, except the 2nd Amendment, for many people these days. Can the US
of A continue to exist, at least as we have known it?

Similarly, when the culture of a society is lost the fabric or binding
collective mental glue of that society is lost. With Rome the Orphic
cultural and social structure of the society was replaced with this
religion that advocated the world was ending soon, there was no purpose in
working to change the material world and holiness was found in
contemplative prayer and life in a monastery, St, Jerome even noted with
glee how the temples and building of Rome and the Pantheon were falling
apart.

LC