> On 28 Apr 2020, at 02:35, spudboy100 via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> If we can find the Great Mind's purpose, yeah, Computer Scientists and
> Mathematicians might comprehend it. Astronomers and physicists would have to
> (in my imagination) locate the instruction set and decipher it. Me? I am
> waiting for the virus closures to life.

I hope you are well. I don’t think the great mind has a purpose. Plotinus makes
an excellent analysis why God cannot be part of the beings (despite or because
he is responsible for the existence of each beings) and why God might not have
a purpose at all, which is rather normal, as a purpose necessitate a form of
incompleteness, and God is by definition complete.

That why the theology of the machine might be more like some school of hinduism
or buddhism, with the idea that the “creation” is an illusion. Of course, in
that case the creator is an illusion too.

We tolerate the naive anthropomorphisation because that’s has (and still is in
some part of the world) a mean to make people obeying to a totally powerful
tyran.

Keep in mind that for the greeks neoplatonician, god is just a nickname for the
truth that we search. It is whatever explain all the rest. Theology is the
fundamental science by definition, and then we can debate if that “everything”
is a material being, a mathematical being, a personal being, a non-personal
being, etc.

Usually the materialist start from the assumption of the creation, and makes it
into a dogma.

The constant debate on the existence of God or not, hides the fact that the
meaning of that debate was, for the greeks, about the existence of a primary
physical universe.

Once you understand the difference between truth and proof, and the fact that
all computation are “truly” emulated in arithmetic, then, even without
mechanism, we have a reason to doubt the existence of the primitive physical
universe, and/or physicalism.

The notion of god is so general that its existence or its meta-existence is
basically trivial in Platonism. Then the interesting question is on its nature.
God is a very general notion, but is not trivial, like the collection of all
sets is not a set. A model of set theory is a highly subtle notion. Mechanism
works because there is a notion of universal machine, which is unique in
mathematics and I would say the whole of science. The discovery of the
universal machine is a bomb whose ripples will stay with us forever, and indeed
we come from there (provably assuming mechanism).

Bruno