> On 29 Apr 2020, at 01:23, spudboy100 via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Bruno. Plotinus and Plato could easily have  been absolutely accurate,
> and maybe we may or but in my way of thinking, maybe not for quite a while.
> Having said this, if you go for my latching on to a ridiculous conjecture
> (driven surely by emotionalism!), I guess that given enormous time, plus
> vacuum flux, a mind out of nowhere sprang up ex-nihilo, up pops a mind with
> perhaps false memories and dreams us all up (physically). Maybe...maybe....
> Do I win any prizes if I'm right? Perhaps El Gordo or the Irish Sweepstakes?

Read Davus book on computability, or ask me any question. But if you are open
to belief that 2+2 = 4, without adding metaphysics to it, you will eventually
understand that *all* computations are realised in arithmetic, and that the
physical reality has to be retrieved from a statistic on all those
computations. This makes mechanism testable, and as we go near quantum
mechanics, already partially tested, and tested as better than any materialist
explanation, which needs non-mechanism, which today is highly speculative (no
evidence at all after QM). If classical mechanics was confirmed, that would
have been a giant evidence that mechanism is wrong (in the cognitive science),
but as everyone known, classical mechanics is false (just a good approximation
for some class of phenomena).

Once people understand the mathematical definition of what is a computation (as
opposed to one of its physical implementation), it is obvious that the notion
of “physical universe” is akin to the fake pseudo-religious notion of God.

It is OK to believe in a physical universe, as it is OK to bet we are locally
machine, but it is not OK (it is inconsistent) to believe in both Physicalism
and Mechanism. With mechanism, physics is entirely reduced to a theory of
consciousness, or just of consistency (<>t) and its intensional mode.

Bruno