> On 1 May 2020, at 12:52, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> https://backreaction.blogspot.com/2020/04/book-review-dream-universe-by-david.html
>
> Sabine Hossenfelder writes:
>

> In the end, Lindley [The Dream Universe: How Fundamental Physics Lost Its
> Way, by David Lindley] puts the blame for the lack of progress in the
> foundations of physics on mathematical abstraction, a problem he considers
> insurmountable. “The unanswerable difficulty, as I hope has become clear by
> now, is that researchers in fundamental physics are exploring a world, or
> worlds, hopelessly removed from our experience… What defines those unknowable
> worlds is perfect order, mathematical rigor, even aesthetic elegance.”
>
> He then classifies “fundamental physics today as a kind of philosophy” and
> explains it is now “less about a strictly rational understanding of the
> universe and more about finding a scenario that we deem intellectually
> respectable.” He sees no way out of this situation because “Observation,
> experiment, and fact-finding are no longer able to guide [researchers in
> fundamental physics], so they must set their path by other means, and they
> have decided that pure rationality and mathematical reasoning, along with a
> refined aesthetic sense, will do the job.”
>
> I am sympathetic to Lindley’s take on the current status of research in the
> foundations of physics, but I think the conclusion that there is no way
> forward is not supported by his argument. The problem in modern physics is
> not the abundance of mathematical abstraction per se, but that physicists
> have forgotten mathematical abstraction is a means to an end, not an end unto
> itself. They may have lost sight of the goal, alright, but that doesn’t mean
> the goal has ceased existing.
>
> It is also simply wrong that there are no experiments that could guide
> physicists in the foundations of physics, and I say this as someone who has
> spent the past 20 years thinking about this very problem. It’s just that
> physicists are wasting time publishing papers about beautiful theories that
> have no relevance for nature instead of analyzing what is going wrong in
> their discipline and how to make progress.
>
> In summary, Lindley’s book is not so much a competition to Lost in Math as a
> complement. If you want to understand what is going wrong in the foundations
> of physics, The Dream Universe is an excellent and timely introduction.
>

> (Sabine Hossenfelder also tweeted that she has no interest in delving into
> the Wolfram Model;  then Sean Carroll tweeted he was at least interested.
> Funny lot.)
>
> @philipthrift

Read my papers, or ask question, but this is still to much physicalist to make
sense with Descartes’ Mechanism,  or with Darwin foreseen of digital mechanism
(before church-thesis!).

The reason why physics is mathematical and more and more a long way from
intuition is already understood by Plato, who warns us that the fundamental
truth has to be counter-intuitive: the reality primitive are ideas, or with
mechanism, simply numbers.

The people you are citing still confuse “fundamental physical reality” with the
apparent (and phenomenologically real) physical reality.

Once you understand that all computations and histories exists, provably, once
we assume *any* Turing universal ontology (like a tiny part of arithmetic
already) it is up to the physicalist metaphysician to make their case for a
ontologically real universe. How could that explains any physical prediction?
Physics works because it makes an implicit ontological commitment, but that
leads to the mind-body problem, which is basically solved with mechanism, so
why add something that nobody has tested until QM (which confirms mechanism and
its immaterialism)? It is no better than “God made it, period”.

Matter and consciousness are better explain without adding those ontologies for
… no reasons, it seems to me. I don’t see any, even without mechanism.

I defend rationalism and empiricism. We have looked carefully to the physical
universe, and up to now, it confirms Mechanism. Materialism was already refuted
by Plato, but Aristotle missed the point, and of course, those who like the
idea that a creation exist followed him.

Matter is only a recent invention to make people believe that the bread is
God’s body, or God’s son’s body.

What I do see is that many confuse theories and model, which does not help.

Wolfram follows the tradition of ignoring the hard problem of the relation
between the first person experiences and the possible third person theories we
can do for explaining them. It is mechanist physicalism, which has been shown
inconsistent.

Bruno