Theology has nothing to do with science. There are what might be called
pre-scientific thinking as a branch of philosophy. Science though came
about from the ideas of Roger Bacon and were applied and firmed up by
Galileo. Theology predates that by centuries. I would say Christian
theology came about with Augustine in the early 5th century. It is
reasonable to say that science emerged from philosophy combined with the
practical arts such as metallurgy, glass making, tool making and so forth.
There were some pre-scientists, Greeks such as a Democritus and medieval
scholars such as Oresme and Grosseteste did some attempts at science, but
they did not have the discipline with empiricism quite right. This was
emerging as a branch of philosophy. Theology predated medieval pre-science
by centuries.

LC