On 5/20/2020 6:39 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Hi Jason,

When you say that Reality is infinite, are you alluding to the (phenomenological) physical reality? Or the absolute reality?

With mechanism, it is very plausible that the physical reality is infinite, as it is a sort of broder of the universal mind (the mind of the “virgin” universal machine).

But even with an infinite physical reality, it is unclear if we are alone or not, in the physical reality. We are numerous in the arithmetical reality (which can be taken as the absolute one, modulo a change of universal machinery). But to have alien fellows in the physical reality, you need some homogeneity in that reality, which is not obvious at first sight.

In fact, I get the impression that we might be rare, if not alone. The probability for life might be as close to zero as von Neumann thought, but even the possibility of its evolution requires many conditions, so many that we might be alone in the cosmos (not in the multiverse, as there we have even doppelangers).

I think the evidence suggests that there is a lot of life in the visible universe and even a lot of technological civilizations...but they are so sparse that we are effectively alone.