> On 9 Jul 2020, at 22:12, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 7/9/2020 3:36 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>> On 9 Jun 2020, at 19:24, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:johnkcl...@gmail.com>> wrote:

>>> The exact same way we know that one of our fellow human beings is conscious
>>> when he's not sleeping or under anesthesia or dead.
>>
>> That is how we believe that a human is conscious, and we project pour own
>> incorrigible feeling of being conscious to them, when they are similar
>> enough. And that makes us knowing that they are conscious, in the weak sense
>> of knowing (true belief), but we can’t “know-for-sure”.
>>
>> It is unclear if we can apply this to a robot, which might look too much
>> different. If a Japanese sexual doll complains of having been raped, the
>> judge will say that she was program to complain, but that she actually feel
>> nothing, and many people will agree (wrongly or rightly).
>
> And when she argues that the judge is wrong she will prove her point.

Only through the intimate conviction of the judge, but that is not really a
proof.

Nobody can prove that something/someone is conscious, ro even just existing in
some absolute sense.

We are just used to bet instinctively that our peers are conscious (although we
might doubt when we learn more on them, sarcastically).

There are many people who just cannot believe that a robot could be conscious
ever. It is easy to guess that some form of racism against artificial being
will exist. Even on this list some have argued that a human with an artificial
brain is a zombie, if you remember.

With mechanism, consciousness can be characterised in many ways, but appears to
be a stringer statement than our simple consistency, which no machine can prove
about herself, or, equivalently, the belief that there is some reality
satisfying our beliefs, which is equivalent to prove that we are consistent.

It will take time before a machine has the right of vote. Not all humans have
that right today. Let us hope we don’t lost it soon!

Bruno