After WWII Enrico Fermi asked "where are they?" In other words, if
intelligent life is some byproduct of biological evolution then these ETs
or IGUS (Intelligent Gathering and Utilizing Systems) should move into
space and fill a galaxy. Yet we find no evidence of such, and UFO claims
are far down on the signal to noise ratio.

I would say that planets with highly advanced life forms and biologically
complex ecosystems are probably fairly rare. I did a study on planets
comparable to Earth and my estimate is maybe there are only a few thousand
in this galaxy comparable to Earth. Of course I might be wrong, but so far
extrasolar planetary searches have not found a second Earth. The time stamp
for Homo sapiens is only 150,000 years, where this is out of 550 million
years of complex life and 3.7 of biological history. So there is the
problem of finding biologically active planets. Then in this Drake equation
sort of thinking it implies that intelligent life will be even rarer. So
far SETI is detecting only silence out there.

There is also the problem of technically capable IGUS altering their
planetary environment in ways that might make their continued existence
impossible. There is a lot of evidence to support that hypothesis with
respect to Homo sapiens. In fabricating a synthetic world system the
natural systems of the planet are exploited or contaminated and this leads
to a collapse. So IGUS in the majority of cases probably do not advance
much further than say we have. We have to compound this with the fact we
have nuclear weaponry arrayed with as much energy equivalent to several
thousand World War IIs. I think the large probability is that humanity will
enter an implosion or failure mode within a few decades.

If there is some role that IGUS have in this universe I really doubt it is
with these Sci-Fi ideas. It might be that we humans and other IGUS around
this universe, which could have an infinite spatial extent, measure by
gravitational waves and say neutrino physics the earliest state of the
universe. This might have a delayed choice effect, where the collective set
of these measurements select the values of field parameters, say Higgs
coupling etc, and in a quantum gravitational setting a vast, maybe
infinite, set of IGUS might select this cosmology as the classical world
out of the vast number of possible cosmologies in the landscape, or maybe
Vafa's "swampland." In that way humanity might play its infinitesimal role
in the Wheeler delayed choice experiment of selecting the observable cosmos
as what is einselected as real.

When it comes to these hyper-future ideas, say Star Trek as the canonical
idea, I have grave doubts about those. I have pretty serious doubts about
whether humanity, or some bio-engineered or cyborganic extension of us,
will even colonize the solar system. In fact this corona virus situation
might be a signal of humanity's future down slope fall into implosion. A
part of it is that in some ways we have evolved so some of us have a fair
amount of intelligence, but honestly the average person is really not that
bright. To evolve to some higher intelligence any ET or IGUS probably has
to pass through the semi-intelligent phase, or where a majority of its
members are marginally intelligent. I put in an image with text of a speech
t'Rump gave. This is typical of his speeches and it takes little serious
judgment to say these are the missives of an imbecile. He has the nuclear
football, he denies science regularly and made a muddle of the current
pandemic. This moron has a 42% approval rating, which is some approximate
measure IMO of the average intelligence of human beings. It is not a good
sign, and much the same happened with the rise of fascism and Nazism in the
last century, and if you read Dicken's "Tale of Two Cities" you get a sense
of the same during the French Revolution before then. We even have
supporters of this sort of inane nonsense on this list. Honestly, I see our
situation as not at all good. We might not even participate in this
possible cosmic Wheeler delayed choice experiment.

LC

[image: t'Rump's half dead brain.jpg]